Chapter 9

Keegan's POV

My heart was racing as I cast a glance over to Christian. He looked incredibly happy, his cheeks red and his eyes glowing. Under his breath, I could hear him muttering my name over and over again. "Keegan... Keegan... Keegan..."

Unsure of what to do, I coughed and caused him to turn his head, his eyes closing as the same goofy smile remained pasted on his face. Tilting his head, he gave a small hum. "What is it?"

I looked away. "I... Need to get going."

His excitement died slightly, but his eyes still glowed. "Okay. See you here tomorrow? At the same time?"

"For what?"

"Aren't we going to start practice?"

I watched his knees bounce up and down in anticipation. "But... I eat during this time."

A look of realization came over him. "Oh... In that case... How about after school?"

I started to shake my head, but Christian grabbed my hand, pulling out a pen from his pocket and scribbling something down. "There. Call me and we can set up a time after school, okay?"

"But, I-"

Before I could finish, he skipped off with one final wave. Scowling, I looked down at the numbers on my hand. "I don't have a phone..."

It seemed strange, but I never really needed one. I only ever called Josh, and I mostly used the school's phones to do that. I didn't exactly have friends I could just call up to chat with, so it was pointless. Plus, my mom already had to work just so we could eat and go to school. She didn't need to worry about phone bills too. My brother has a phone, but he pays his own bills with his job.

I had talked about getting a job, but it was always shot down by either my mom or Josh. They want me to go to college, just like they got to. Josh had just gotten out when Dad died. He said that I should go, because I'd have a better chance at getting a job after. I suppose that's what won me over, but I'm still a little guilty. I hate that they have to pay for college, when I can get a job and do it myself.

I blinked, realizing that I'd been standing there staring at my hand blankly. Blushing, I shoved my hand into my pocket and headed back to the school.

---

Even after Christian's promise to train me, not much has changed. Well, one thing has changed; Nick. It's like he's completely forgotten who I am. Not that I'm complaining, but it's really strange. One minute, he hates my guts. The next, he doesn't even look at me! I know Christian probably had something to do with it.

"Yeah, it was me." Christian smiled, watching me carefully.

I frowned. "But... Why?"

"Didn't you want him to stop?"

Looking down, I shrugged. It was bothersome, but it wasn't something I wanted others to solve or to pity me for. Besides, it bothers me when something disrupts my usual schedule. I'm not someone who likes surprises.

Christian's smile went away, and he sat back. "Well... Why haven't you called me?"

"... I don't have a phone."

Christian's eyes widened. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

I knit my brow. "I tried to." I mumbled.

We were silent after that, until Christian stood up. "Okay. Today after school, okay, Keegan?"

I nodded slowly. His smile returned as he held out his hand. Staring at it, I didn't move. Finally, he dropped his arm, looking away with embarrassment. Did he... Did he want me to take it? Tentatively, I moved my arm out, allowing my index finger to loop around his, giving it a small tug. It was much bigger than my own, and almost dwarfed my small finger. And, it was rough. From years of football, I'd assume.

Glancing up, I peeked at Christian through my hair, watching as he stared at our entwined fingers with a wide smile. Shaking his own finger against mine, he laughed. "It's a deal. Today after school."

---

"No, you have to be firm. Stand like this, legs shoulder-width apart. Use your other hand to aim. Like this-" Christian grabbed my arm, pulling it up to point at a target we'd set up a little ways away. "-then throw."

He stepped back and allowed me to move my arm, reaching back before pulling it forward and releasing the ball. Unfortunately, it didn't do much. In fact, it hit the ground in front of me. Christian shook his head. "You have to release sooner. And try to throw it harder to make it go farther."

I tugged at the collar of my gym shirt, hating the way the sweat stuck the shirt to my back. We'd been at this for hours, and all he's succeeded in doing is lowering my self-esteem.

Christian pulled up his shirt, wiping away the sweat on his forehead while he thought. "We're gonna need a different approach..." He muttered.

I groaned. "Can't we go in now?"

He checked the time, nodding slowly. "Yeah... Yeah, sure. Let's go."

We wandered back into the locker room, tired and sore. Christian pulled off his shirt, wiping sweat off his face. I pulled out my clothes, glancing at him. "Is it okay if I shower?"

He nodded. "Yeah."

I walked over, jumping into the shower after stripping off my uniform. Christian grabbed the sweaty pile in front of the shower curtain, bundling it up. "Here, I'll put it away for you, okay?"

"... Thanks."

We didn't say anything as I started the shower, glancing over at Christian who had bundled up the pile and shoved it into my locker. I turned away while he undressed and redressed. "You can go home now," I said. "I'll go after I'm done."

Christian shook his head. "Nope. I'll stay here and walk with you."

"But-"

"Don't worry, just to the bus loop, okay?" His eyes pleaded with me.

"... Fine."

I finished up and we walked down to the bus loop together.