Chapter one

TrisPOV

I look out of the window of the car, as we drive along the bumpy road to Chicago, my hands resting in my lap.

I can't stop thinking about my mother.
I know she is in a better place, but I miss her dearly. I want to reach out to her, and hug her tightly once more.
I will kill that drunk bitch that killed my mother.

A tear rolls down my cheek, but I quickly brush it away, and hold my breath, as I stare at the blur of buildings and people flash before me.

It's been a week or so since me and Issac broke up.

I can't believe he cheated on me. That is the lowest thing a guy can do. I should have listened to my brother.

I look over at Caleb.
His eyes have bags under them, just like mine, his eyes all red and swollen from crying.

He looks over at me, but doesn't say anything.
We stare at each other for a moment, then turn away, looking back out of the window.

"We are almost there." Says Dad. His voice is all scratchy. I still can't amazing what he is going through.

I look down at my phone, and turn it on. It's 6:30.

I'm so lucky to be able to have this. I feel bad for having it, because there is someone out there who need sit more than me.

I don't even need it.
I don't have any friends to talk to, besides Dad and Caleb. I'm hoping that will change this year at Divergent High.

I've read a few things about it.
They say that they "treat everyone equally." I'm crossing my fingers.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, and instantly have a flashback of my mom cutting my hair. Her smile in the reflection.
"Are you scared?" She asked me.
"No." I reply, but of course, that wasn't true.
"I was, on my first day of middle school." She said brushing my hair as she finished trimming it,putting up into a bun.
We starred at our reflection for what seemed like forever, until she broke the silence saying, "Times up, time fore school."

My eyes water again.
Now that I look back, middle school was terrible. I was always the kid that got made fun of, because I was to short, didn't have enough money, didn't have the right clothes. They called me names, and the only thing they cared about me was that I was smart, so they could pass with ease.

I almost start sobbing.
But the car stops. "We are here." Says Dad with a breath of relief.

We get out of the car, and walk to the back of it, and open the trunk to get our stuff.

The moving can beat us hear.
We didn't need a big one, which is good, because it costs quite a bit to rent one. We don't really have a lot of stuff anyway.

I grab my luggage and walk into the small, two floor house.

When you walk inside, there is a small kitchen in the left corner, a space far in front of it, which, in guessing is where the couch is going to go, and no, we don't have a TV.

I look to my right and I guess maybe that space could be the dining room.
I have no idea. Maybe the couch and dining room are switched.
I walk up the stairs and I am greeted with four doors. I open the one in front of me, and it turns out to be a closet.