4. Phobias

We spend the rest of the weekend at home watching television and playing with cars, his new favorite pastime while we wait for Cars 3 to come out in a few weeks.

"Kiddo" I smile as I knock on my son's door and push it open to find him still fast asleep in his bed. "Hey buddy it's time to get up" I say as I step into the room and take a seat on his bed, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"No" he says as he turns over and tries to go back to sleep. "No school" he whines as I let out an annoyed sigh.

"Liam you gotta go to school" I say seriously as I pull back the comforter. "Up, up little man" I say as I stand up and he sits up, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You're mean" he says as I shake my head heading over to his closet.

"I'm your mom" I remind him, "I only want what's best for you which means you go to school, now get moving" I say seriously as I place some clothes on his bed and head out of the room.

I head into the kitchen to make his lunch, packing it all up before he comes out of his room thankfully dressed. "I'm not going" he says adamantly as I sigh, staring down at my stubborn son.

"Yes you are" I argue, "and we're done with this discussion. Mommy's gonna get your coat" I say as I head over to the closet and pull it out. I walk it over to him, handing it over and he takes it and throws it to the ground.

"No" he says adamantly. "Daddy wouldn't make me go" he says seriously. I stop dead in my tracks, my heart stopping and my head spinning. I feel tears stinging in the back of my eyes but I can't break in front of Liam.

"Liam please get ready baby boy" I beg as I pick up his jacket and hand it to him. He throws it back on the floor and I pick it up and put it on him myself before grabbing his lunch, my purse and his hand an leading him out to the car.

"I don't wanna go" he whines as he sits in his booster seat with his arms crossed over his chest. "I'm not going."

"Liam Matthew Clark" I say adamantly as I grab the seat belt and pull it over his body. "You are going to school and that is the end of it" I yell before slamming the door shut and climbing into the driver's seat. I get to school with literally thirty seconds to spare.

"Out" I order and he sighs, rolls his eyes but unbuckles and climbs out of his seat. I take his hand and walk him inside making it to Josh's classroom as the bell rings.

"Clark you're late" Josh says as my son trudges inside. Josh walks over to me with an eyebrow raised. "Everything okay?" he asks worriedly.

"Hm?" I ask, "yea of course" I add as he looks at me dubiously.

"Really? Because you look like you're about to burst into tears" he says calling me out as he stares down at me worriedly.

"Josh I'm fine" I argue but as the words leave my mouth my voice cracks. "I'm gonna go" I say as I turn to leave but he catches my wrist.

"Maya" he says softly as he turns me to face him.

"You have a class to attend to" I say seriously as I break his grip and rush out to my car.

*************************************************************************************

"You don't look too good sweetheart everything okay?" my dad asks worriedly when he finally gets a second to himself between the rush of customers.

"I'm fine" I lie for the millionth time today.

"I know you're lying Maya what's going?" he asks as he eyes me expectantly, his arms crossed over his chest.