22. Drinking Beauty

"Come on" Mia insists but I continue to shake my head vigorously while I push the grocery cart through the store. "It'll be fun."

"I'm not disputing that" I reply, "but may I remind you that I have a five year old son to look after."

"Do you?" she says sarcastically, "is that how I became an aunt?"

"Haha" I laugh dryly. "I'm serious Mia" I sigh, "I'd love to get out of the house and spend some time with you and Kyle but I can't."

"My mom can watch him" she suggests making me laugh as I throw a jar of peanut butter into the cart.

"That's funny because last time I checked your mom is beyond pissed off at me since I started dating Josh. If I asked her to watch Liam so I could spend time with you, Kyle, and Josh on New Year's she would probably laugh in my face."

"Liam is still her grandson. Is she never gonna see him again because you're dating?"

I sigh. "Mia I'm sorry but I'm not going. Tell Kyle I'm sorry."

"But" she attempts but I shake my head in insistence as I head towards the checkout.

"Mia I'm sorry but no. I'll talk to you later. Enjoy the new year" I add dismissively before placing the groceries on the conveyer belt. After about ten minutes I'm done loading everything into the car and heading off towards the house. My phone lights up as I turn onto my street and I groan when Kyle's name flashes on the screen.

"Is it your turn to try and convince me to come tonight?" I ask expectantly making him chuckle. "And why are you hosting the party anyway? Shouldn't Mia be hosting or something?"

"What are you implying?"

I laugh as I pull into my driveway. "I'm implying that you're nineteen and inviting me to a New Year's party. Does that not sound sketchy?"

"It's only sketchy if you make it sketchy?" he points out making me laugh as I shake my head in amusement. "But seriously, you should come. I miss you."

"I miss you too" I admit, "but my babysitter pool isn't too big and with both you and Mia at the party" I pause as I climb out of the car and move around to open the trunk, "that leaves your mom or my parents and I don't want to give any of them so little notice."

"Like your parents would care" he chuckles. "Or you could ask Riley" he suggests.

I shake my head. "No" I insist, "she has a one year old to take care of, she doesn't need to deal with Liam too."

"Fine. Then again I suggest your parents" he persists. I groan as I grab a bag and close my trunk, leaning against it.

"If I ask will you both get off my ass?" I ask hopefully.

"Yes" he replies immediately making me roll my eyes.

"Fine" I give, "then I'll ask but I can almost guarantee that they're going to say no."

"Just ask" he replies dismissively. "See you tonight" he adds before hanging up. I chuckle as I pocket my phone and head into the house.

"I'm home" I shout into the house as I walk in and place the bag on the counter.

"Hey" Josh smiles as he comes around the corner. "You're back early" he says making me chuckle as I shake my head.

"I was gone like forever" I argue, "I would've been home sooner but my in laws are driving me a bit nuts today."

He quirks an eyebrow at me. "What do you mean?"

I sigh as I lean against the counter. "They want us to come over and hang out tonight."