9. Bad Day, Perfect Night

I wake up the next morning to my alarm blaring incessantly. I moan in annoyance as I reach over to shut it off before lying in bed and staring up at the ceiling. I was beyond excited about starting something with Josh, I really liked him just like I always have but there was still a part of me that felt guilty. As if someone is reading my mind my phone rings and as I reach over for it Josh's name lights up the screen. "Good morning" I smile once our phones connect.

"Hey gorgeous" he greets me. "How are you this morning?"

I yawn as run my fingers through my hair. "Exhausted" I reply. "What about you?"

"I'm good" he says allowing me to hear the smile in his voice. "I had an amazing date last night so I don't really have a reason to be bad" he says as my heart swells. "Unless of course in the light of day you don't feel the same way" he adds hesitantly. I bite my lip as silence falls over the line. "Oh" he says, seemingly taken back.

"Come over" I suddenly beg. I know it's not smart but I know if I see him I'll feel better.

"Maya I want to" he sighs, "but what about Liam? I like you and I'm not going anywhere but if you decide this isn't working out" he trails off.

"He's my kid" I protest.

"I know that" he groans. "Please don't pick a fight with me, I'm just talking to you."

"Forget it" I snip. "Bye Josh" I add as I hang up and bounce my phone off the mattress causing it to fall onto the floor. I roll my eyes before getting up to go take a shower. Once I'm done and dressed for the day I head out to the kitchen to make breakfast. I'm in the middle of making pancakes when Liam wanders down the hall with his blanket in one hand and Rory in the other.

"Can I watch TV?" he asks adorably as he smiles up at me.

"Sure baby boy. Breakfast should be done in a few minutes."

"Okay" he smiles as he wanders off and hops up onto the couch. I'm plating breakfast when there's a knock on the door. "Mommy door" he says making me chuckle as I wipe off my hands and go to open the door finding Josh on the other side.

"Hey" he says making my eyes widen.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in shock that the man I was just arguing with on the phone is standing in front of me.

"Talking like adults" he snips as he brushes past me.

"Mr. Matthews" Liam exclaims. "Wanna watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with me?" he asks Josh while Josh and I share a look.

"Sure kiddo" he smiles as he goes to take a seat next to my son. I roll my eyes as I grab the two plates and hand one to Liam and keep the other for myself. I eat in silence while Josh and Liam talk back and forth about the best character. Pluto wins.

"I'm going to do dishes" I announce as I grab the two plates and head to the kitchen. It's not long before I hear footsteps following me.

"If we're gonna work you have to talk to me" he points out as he leans his back against the counter where I'm turning on the sink.

"You wanna talk?" I snap as I drop the plates into the sink. "Do you know how fucking frustrating this is for me? I want you. More than I've wanted anyone in a very long time and it scares the fuck out of me. I have a kid to think about as you so graciously pointed out this morning. I can't be in this for a fun little fling. I need stability for me and Liam. I told you yesterday that I had days like this and you said you were up for it. Are you already backing out? Because if you are I need to know because I can't have Liam attaching to you."