Chapter 7 -"Try to keep up, old man."

"Sarge."

Carter rolled over in her bed and faced the door, wincing at the light. Her father was outlined in the door frame, light from the hallway slipping into her room. She moaned and rolled away. Her father walked in and gently shook her shoulder.

"Sarge," he said.

Carter shrugged off his arm, burying half her face in her pillow.

"Don't you know you're suppose to knock before coming in," she said, her voice slightly muffled. "That way I have enough time to kick the Marine out of my bed, so he can be half dressed and out the window by the time you catch him."

"Why do you think I didn't knock?" her father said.

Carter twisted her head to look blearily at him.

"So you're saying kick him out of my bed in the middle of the night. Got it." She turned away, resting her head back on her pillow. "Now, what do you want, old man? I thought we were celebrating your homecoming by sleeping in."

Her father glanced at the clock.

"We did," he said. "It's six-thirty."

"I've changed my mind," she said. "I'm not happy you're home."

"Understood. Now get up, we're going running."

She pulled the blankets tight around her chin.

"Have fun. Let me know when you get back. We can hang out or something."

Her father yanked the blankets off her. A chill swept over Carter and she curled into a ball. Her father reached out and took one of her arms. On reflex, she shot her leg out, but hit only air. She brought her free arm around, her hand curling into a fist as she swung at her father's face. He easily blocked the blow and hauled her out of her bed. She struggled, flailing her arm and legs. He dropped her and she hit the hard wood floor.

"Are you up?" he asked.

She jumped up, grabbed her crumpled blankets and scrambled into her bed. Without a word, her father left the room. She snuggled down into her bed. A second later her father's footsteps  echoed in the hallway, along with the sound of water sloshing in a pot. She twisted around as her father stepped into her room. Adrenaline shot through her and she jolted out of bed. Her father smiled.

"You're up. How about a run?" he asked.

Carter glared at him as she pushed him out of her room.

"I'll be ready in five. Child services will be here in ten," she said.

"Just enough time to slip out before they get here."

She turned and kicked the door shut. Two minutes later, she emerged from her room dressed and hair pulled back. Her father stood in the living room stretching. After drinking a single glass of a green power shake, she groaned and joined him. Her tired muscles protested the early wake up call.

"How do you feel about running to the Capital today?" her father asked.

"As long as it means you bust an ankle on the steps, sounds great," she grumbled.

"I'll take that as a yes. You ready?"

She straightened and nodded.

"I set the pace this time," she said.

Her father nodded as they stepped out into the cold morning air. Light peeked on the horizon and mist covered the world. They descended the metal staircase and headed towards the road. Carter looked up at her father and grinned.