Chapter 41 - "Split up."

"Which entrance gets us closest to the library?" Donovan asked.

Carter pointed down the right corridor. "The one we took to get in."

He nodded and led the way back through the maze of tunnels. Neither spoke. They climbed stairs and stopped, listening, trying to distinguish any sound other than their breathing.

Donovan met Carter's gaze, holding hers for a long second, a silent question. In answer, she strapped on the narrow gas mask. It fix snugly to her face, only covering her nose and mouth. Reassured, Donovan put on his as well.

He hit the button. The wall slid back, an empty janitor's closet waited for them, pungent with the scent of cleaner. The alarm had been turned off, in its place an eerie silence. Every breath they took sounded like canon blasts.

Donovan moved into the cramped room, his steps sure and cautious. Carter followed suit, her fingers tingling with energy.

He didn't walk to the door, instead twirled one finger. She nodded, understanding his signal. He stepped to the left as she moved to the right, searching the shelves for anything resembling a weapon. Her heart rate spiked every time she nudged anything aside, the sound of plastic on metal screaming in her ears.

After a search, that ended with no results, they moved to the door. Donovan pressed his back to the wall just beside it, Carter directly behind him. As he reached for the handle, he stretched his back, pressing his other hand against Carter's side, shielding her from what lay beyond.

Carter tried to ignore his hand and the chain reaction of sparks it set off. Already every nerve in her was coursing with adrenaline.

Donovan eased the door open, his every muscle straining, simultaneously alert and still. Carter could see nothing but his back. She read the empty hallway in the release of his shoulders.

As he slipped out, Donovan waved her forward. There was a white haze in the vacant hallway that dulled the lights. The complete emptiness tightened every nerve in Carter. Her glances backward became more frequent as phantom sounds played in her ears. She clenched her fists, feeling naked without a weapon, so used to the weight of a gun when she went through the training courses.

Her heart jumped into her throat at the steady beat of boots on tile, the sound coming from above them. Something metal jostled and clinked.

"Roger that," a gravelly voice said.

Donovan didn't hesitate, grabbing Carter's hand, pulling her into action.

At the first open doorway, they ducked inside.

It was the teacher's lounge. Unconscious staff members were splayed over couches and tables. A cup of coffee had been knocked over, the dark liquid dripped off the edge of the table. They looked over the scene, searching for an adequate place to hide.

Carter tugged Donovan's arm and headed for a supply closet.

They slipped in and eased the door closed, cramming themselves into the tight spot. The space was dark, only a tiny piece of light coming in from beneath the doorway.

They were pressed so close together Carter couldn't tell if she was feeling her heart banging away in her chest or Donovan's.

As her eyes adjusted to the dim light, Donovan's face came into focus. He kept his gaze riveted on the door, his fists clenching and unclenching. It was as if he wasn't aware of her at all. She stared into his face, seeing his jaw flex, feeling the desire for action radiating from him.

The footsteps steadily drew closer. Carter reached up and cupped the back of Donovan's neck. His muscles tensed under her touch as she pulled his head down.