Chapter 28 - "I didn't think I would see you again."

"It changes nothing,"Donovan said, as they stood at the entrance to the school.

Carter looked at him and nodded.

"It changes nothing," she repeated.

He nodded to the parking lot and she and Link followed. The sun had made more breakthroughs in the clouds, sending patches of light onto the city. The trio moved through the rows of cars and stopped beside the Mercedes. They climbed in, Donovan started the engine and looked over at her.

"Where to?" he asked.  

"The Sofitel hotel. It's in Lafayette Square," she said.

They broke free of the line of cars and headed for the heart of D.C. The monuments looked like white beacons against the gray sky. Passing the White House, Carter instinctively glanced in the rearview mirror at Link. His gaze was focused on the opposite window, but his jaw flexed once.

They pulled to a stop at the hotel's entrance. Around them, tall buildings crowded the sidewalks, pressed up against each other, pedestrians in coats moving with determined steps. Carter reached for the door, but Donovan's question stopped her.

"Do you want us to wait?"

She looked back, but didn't respond. Donovan read her hesitation and glanced back at Link.

"You want to get something to eat?" he asked.

Link gave a careless shrug. "Sure, I know a place around here."

Carter gave them both small smile. "Thank you...for everything."

Donovan nodded and Carter stepped out of the car, shut the door and watched as it fell back into traffic. A sense of calm came over her as she looked up at the hotel. She headed for the main entrance and pushed through the revolving door.

A lavish lobby was laid out before her: black and white patterned carpet covering the floor, high backed couches lining the walls, a front desk of gray stone topped with glass. Everything about it spoke of money. Just beyond the entrance was a doorway that led to a low lit restaurant and bar.

Carter paused when she spotted her mother sitting on a barstool, in her hand a half empty glass of amber liquid. For a moment, Carter just stared, studying her. She felt a twinge of pain in her chest but the original anger did not make an appearance.

As Carter moved through the tables, her mother noticed her and froze. Carter stopped before her, her face even. Her mother's hand went to her necklace, seeking comfort. Carter slid her hands into her pockets, her eyes dropping to the pendant. Her mother lowered her hand.

"I didn't think I would see you again," she said.

Carter gave a single nod. "I know."

"How did you know where I was staying?" she asked, groping for something to say.

"I called around."

Her mother's put together persona was cracking, showing nerves. Carter stared at her with an even gaze, feeling as if she were truly seeing her for the first time. Something about seeing her mother so unnerved by her sudden presence put Carter at ease.

"So, why are you here?" her mother finally asked.

Carter took a deep breath as if bracing herself for what she was about to say.

"You wanted to explain to me why you did what you did, well now you can," she said.

Surprise darted through her mother's face and she opened her mouth but nothing came out. Carter continued to look at her, all the anger she had felt the previous day now a dull ache in her chest. Her mother regained her composure and gave Carter a small hopeful smile.