Chapter 11 - "Why did you lie to me?"

Carter hopped out of the car, her shoes crunching on the gravel drive. There was a warmth in the air that spoke of a pleasant spring. Sleek cars with their own suited drivers deposited their students before the school's entrance, money seeping out of the interiors. Murmurs of vague farewells given by distracted parents slipped out of open windows.

"Sarge."

Carter turned back, hooking her messenger bag over head. Her father wore a serious look.

"It goes without saying that this information is a matter of national security," he said.

Carter frowned and put a hand on her hip, mimicking an annoyed girl.

"Darn!" she said, in a whiny voice. "I was going to tweet about it."

Her father smiled and Carter relaxed her stance.

"He's staying at Hamilton then?" she asked.

"As far as I know, yes."

Carter let out an inaudible sigh of relief and smiled.

"Keep an eye out for him," her father said.

Carter saluted. "Roger, Captain."

"I'll see you at home, Sarge."

"Unless I am forced to take a bullet for a certain someone."

"Making sure he gets into the Safe Room is more along the lines of what I meant when I said 'keep an eye out'."

"Got it. Then the same goes for you. I'll see you at home. Love you, Captain."

"Love you, Sarge."

Carter took a step back and closed the door. She jogged up the stairs before turning back and watching the black SUV melt into traffic. She joined the tide of students entering the school and headed for class.

As she approached her first period she was jostled from the side and bumped into someone as a result. When she looked over she found Donovan helping Link steady himself. Donovan looked at Carter with his usual passive expression, though his dark blue eyes scrutinized her. At the sight of Carter, Link tensed, though he forced his features to look unconcerned. A grin broke across Carter's face. At the sight of it, Link relaxed and returned the look. 

"You seem to have a knack for running into me," he said.

"It seems I do, I'll have to watch out for that. I wouldn't want you getting the wrong idea and thinking I liked you."

Link laughed, his ease returning with his self convinced assurance that Carter didn't know the truth.

"To class?" Carter asked, nodding in the direction of their classroom.

In answer Link started walking, Carter and Donovan falling in beside him.

"Hey," Link said. "Did you finish your essay for history yet?"

He looked at Carter, his expression expectant.

"Yeah," she said. "Last night, why?"

"I'm having trouble finding a good reference book."

"I can help you find one over free period," she said.

"Thanks."

Carter shrugged.

"What are highly intelligent friends for?"

Link smiled, his worry appeased. They stepped into the crowded classroom and took their seats.

"What do you think we're doing today?" Link asked, nodding to their teacher.

Carter looked over and raised her eyebrows in surprise. Mr. Miller sat behind his desk, his posture relaxed, the barest hint of a smile sitting on his lips as he served the room.