Chapter 1 (Donovan's POV)

The wheels of the BMW crunched along the gravel drive as it fell into line with all the other sleek cars. The gray stone building lay ahead, the stately structure looking of old money and history. Manicured lawns spread out on all sides, all encased by a tall, stone fence. Atop the fence were security cameras at distinct intervals.

Donovan pulled the car out of the line and turned into a parking lot. He swung into an empty spot. Around him, doors slammed and friends met up and walked together. He looked over at Link. Link's attention was on the school before them, his brown hair sticking up in odd angles.

Donovan looked at back to the school. "How are you doing?"

Link adjusted his glasses. A nervous habit Donovan had become accustomed to in the six years of knowing Link.

"What is the likelihood that I have any classes with Mason?"

Donovan's eyes narrowed in thought.

"It's a school of about 300 hundred students; there's a small margin. But the chances of never running into him are extremely low."

Link nodded, still surveying the school. Donovan opened the door and stepped out. Link paused for a second then followed. In silence, they joined the flow of students moving towards the school. As they walked, Donovan memorized faces and studied body language, looking for the signs that would tell him of their emotions, struggles and personalities.

The bell rang as they entered the school hallways. Link glanced at Donovan and he pointed to the right. Despite the dense crowds, Donovan noticed the gazes of girls that latched onto him. Eyes burned with curiosity, intrigue and desire. He ignored all of it, his customary blank mask in place.

A girl stumbled and bumped into him. Reflexively he caught her and stopped her from falling. Before she could offer a smile and thank you, they were moving on. Link looked at him, his eyes flickering back to the wide-eyed girl.

"Keep moving," Donovan said, his voice quiet.

"Are we playing this as usual?"

Donovan gave a single nod. Link ran a hand through his hair, managing to make it look more rumpled than before. They stepped into a classroom, filled with tall tables and stools. Most spots were taken. Link walked over and took an open seat by a girl with brown hair, who was frowning at the teacher. Donovan settled onto the stool two tables back, with a blonde haired girl.

By the time he had unhooked his bag from his shoulder, Link was in conversation with the girl beside him. She waved her hand towards the teacher and Link frowned, glancing over. Donovan followed his line of sight, registering a hint of a smirk in the teacher's expression.

"Hi!" the girl next to him said.

Donovan looked at her. Her face was made up and her smile was eager as she took in his face and body. He turned away, pulling out a notebook. Calculating the brightness in the girl's light blue eyes, he expected three more attempts at conversation before she resigned to silence.

"Are you new here?" she asked.

Donovan didn't answer. The second bell rang and the teacher smiled.

"Alright, class, let's get settled," he said.

The room slowly quieted as students turned towards the front. Donovan watched, seeing who was drunk and who was still half asleep.

"I have a surprise for you. Pop quiz!"

Groans echoed through the classroom. Donovan's gaze fell to the girl beside Link and he saw her give Link a knowing smirk. It struck him that she knew that the pop quiz was coming.