Chapter 29 - "You look hot."

Carter stood before her closet, wearing a scowl, her hands on her hips. A neat line of clothes lay before her, the hues ranging from black to dark blue. The sky was dark beyond her window and the world was alive with noise. From apartment windows came the relaxed laughs of those soaking up the weekend. TVs battled with the yells and cries of children running loose in the small alleyways. Carter twisted around and eyed her punching bag, feeling the need to hit something.

Before she made up her mind whether to forget her task for the moment and pummel the bag, the front door opened. Maggie's voice rang through out the apartment, filling it with a cheery warmth the two other occupants had recently lacked. There was a murmur of voices as Maggie talked with Carter's father. Carter turned back to the closet, determined to not to be beat by her task.

The voices died away and Maggie's footsteps resounded on the wood floor. There came a light knock on Carter's door. With a muttered 'enter' from Carter, Maggie opened it and stepped in. She stopped at the sight of Carter in a ratty t-shirt and gray sweat pants. Carter glanced over, but didn't say anything.

"Hey hun," Maggie said. "What's going on?"

Carter shrugged, as if standing before her closet completely confused was a normal occurrence.

"Steve said he heard mutterings and was worried about you."

"Yeah, well Captain has nothing to be worried about." Carter crossed her arms, the scowl reappearing. "I'm completely fine."

Maggie sank onto the edge of the neat bed and crossed her legs.

"Is that so?" she said, a teasing note in her voice.

"Yup."

"So you're glaring at your closet because..."

Carter didn't answer. Maggie held in a smile and hit her thighs before standing.

"Alright, since you are completely fine," she said, in an offhanded tone. "I will let you get back to it then."

She moved to the door and put a hand on the knob.

"Wait," Carter said.

Maggie turned back, but didn't let go of the handle. "Yes?"

Carter scowled again and dug her hands into the pockets of her sweats, hating the gleeful light in Maggie's eyes. When her tongue remained securely behind her teeth, Maggie lifted an eyebrow.

"Carter?" she said.

Carter groaned, her head falling back. She lifted it and looked at Maggie.

"What does someone wear to a party?" she asked.

A smile instantly jumped to Maggie's face and Carter raised her hand.

"Laugh at me and I'll never talk to you again," she said.

Maggie nodded, the laugh tickling her throat. She swallowed it and walked over to where Carter stood. She looked at the closet, her lips pursed in a thoughtful expression.

"I thought I would wear what I just wore to the date, but...I don't know..." Carter growled and ran a hand through her damp hair. "This is stupid. I don't even know why I care? Maddy just asked what I was wearing so that made me wonder if I should actually be thinking about it. Which led me to wonder, if I had a mom would I be more aware of this stuff. Which led me to a complete blank on what to wear. And this is stupid, I sound like a pissy teenage girl."

Maggie chuckled and took a step towards the closet, rifling through the row of dark clothes.

"Well, hun, you still are a teenage girl. It's alright to sound like one," Maggie said, pulling out a shirt and looking over it. She put it back and moved on. "And yes, if your mother had been here when you were entering teenage life you would have been more aware of this stuff. But she wasn't and now you have me to help you." She turned back to Carter and gave her a soft smile. "I hope you don't mind."