Chapter 8 -"I never pegged either of you as the skittish type."

Carter slouched in her chair, watching as Mr. Philips paced back and forth in front of the white board.

"Some would say he was foolish for taking the career choice he did," her history teacher said. "But I believe, if you asked him if he could redo it, would he choose differently, he would say that he would have done the same thing."

Mr. Philips stopped pacing and looked at the class, his arms crossed.

"So speaking of careers, let this be a lesson to you as career day approaches. The work you choose will become your life, for good or bad. Remember that when you decide what field you will go into."

The bell rang.

"Chapters 23 and 24 tonight. Don't forget the essay due this Friday," he said.

The room burst into motion as students stowed their notebooks away and left. Carter shouldered her bag and followed the flow of traffic exiting the classroom. She paused outside, leaning against the wall. A second later, Link and Donovan stepped out. She fell into step beside them. Link glanced at her, smiling.

"You know," he said, "if you keep hanging out with us people will assume we are friends."

"You should feel so lucky," she said.

"Lucky, or afraid how people will see me?"

"You're the smart one here, you tell me?" she said.

They pushed their way past clusters of dawdling students. They turned the corner and headed for the cafeteria. They were almost to their destination when an alarm cut through the noise of the hallway. Everyone froze at the blaring sound. Half a second later the windows were sealed as large metal shutters where dropped over them. Panicked voices started rumbling down the hallways, as students frantically looked to each other.

Carter glanced around and was surprised to see neither Link or Donovan were beside her. As students started rushing off in different directions, Carter looked around. A door to her right was swinging shut. She moved to it as Principal Withers's voice broke into the chaos.

"Students. Please return to you homerooms in an orderly fashion," he said.

Students took his words to heart and moved with quickened steps to their classrooms. Carter pushed the door open and looked around. The room was dim due to the shutters that were now sealed in place. Empty tables filled the space. She stepped in and looked about. In the back corner, Link and Donovan were crouched behind a desk. Holding back an amused smile, she walked over to them.

"I never pegged either of you as the skittish type," she said. She shrugged. "Okay, I might have expected it from Link but Donovan, I thought you would be made of stronger stuff."

Link blushed, but Donovan's face, as usual, revealed nothing. Carter pointed behind her.

"Are we going to go back to homeroom or shall I join you down there on the floor?" She smirked. "Who knows it might improve my reputation to be found on the floor with the school's hot new guy."

Donovan's cool cracked slightly and Carter laughed, the sound more girlish than either guy expected.

"I'm not even sure that could pull your reputation from the gutter," he said.

Carter shrugged.

"Probably not. Come on. They have to make sure everyone is accounted for. That means heading back to homeroom."

Link stood, his face slightly pale. Donovan rose and brushed off his immaculate uniform.

"Does this often happen?" Link asked, as they headed out of the classroom.