Chapter Nine: What God Has Put Together, Let No Man Tear Apart

Jamie's P.O.V.

Life; it's either difficult or it's easy, there's no in between. For me? It's always been difficult, but there are people in my difficult life to help make it a little easier. Like Ryan and Emily for example, my two best friends, they love me so much they help me understand that I matter in the world. Patrick and Trevor, they're like my older brothers, they make sure I'm okay. Then there's Jonathan Toews, the man who owns my heart, the man who makes me feel so loved, so wanted, I'm so head over heels for him that I just don't care. Being with him now is even better than before, I can only pray that it doesn't change.

I sat with Emily and Ryan in a booth at Buffalo Wild Wings since Emily was craving fried pickles and I don't mind eating some chicken wings for lunch today. I swirled my Dr. Pepper with my straw as I watched Ryan constantly looking at the entrance.

"Ry, who are you waiting for?" I finally decided to ask.

"The new girl working at my law firm, I invited her to lunch so she doesn't feel alone, ya know?"

"Yeah, I get ya. Hey Em, how's my little niece or nephew doing?"

"Baby's doing really well, in the next few weeks we can find out the sex of the baby!" Emily beamed with a huge smile.

Ryan and I couldn't be happier for Emily and Trevor, even though it was unplanned they're super excited for this baby.

"Oh look, she's here." Ryan said pointing at the door. 

I looked over my shoulder to see the new girl, I recognized the dark brown hair and the bubbly energy that came with the new girl.

"Guys, I want you to meet-"

"Cydnee?" I looked at her with disbelief.

"Jamie? What are you doing here?" Cydnee asked with a puzzled look.

"Having lunch with my friends.. What are you doing here?"

"I came to meet Ryan and her friends but I had no idea it was you!"

"You two know each other?" Ryan asked with the same puzzled look Cyd had.

"Cydnee's an old childhood friend, from Normal!" I exclaimed with a grin.

"Jamie and I go way back." Cydnee smirked.

"If y'all were close friends how come you've never brought her up, Jamie?" Emily asked.

"I've spent so much time trying to forget about Normal I guess I just forgot about her."

"I'm hurt." Cydnee said with a frown.

"Cyd, I didn't mean it-"

"Ah, I'm just kidding!" She hit my shoulder gently.

We enjoyed our lunch hour together, it was great to have Cydnee join our trio, Ryan and Emily seemed to really like her they've gotten to know her really well and I'm glad they did. I didn't want to leave but I promised Jonathan I'd stop by practice to check in for a few minutes, it wasn't a morning skate it was just Jonathan trying to get back on his feet after his injury.

"What's the story between you and Jon anyway?" Ryan asked with a sly smirk plastered on her face.

"You and Jon's back together?" Cydnee gasped.

"It kinda just happened," I answered them. "The chemistry was still there between me and Jonny but it took a lot of time to finally confront it and when we finally did.. it just clicked."

"You and Patrick owe me fifty bucks." Emily gave Ryan a 'I told you so' look.

"Do you guys always bet on relationships? I need to get on this." Cyd chuckled.