6. Manners

I sat at the right hand side of Hannibal, the head of the table. Being set so close to Hannibal made me nervous, still, I accepted the seat. He pulled it open for me and set my crutches on the ground, gently pushing my seat in. Afterwards he sat down, examining everyone else get comfortable.
    "Thank you for joing me." He addressed to everyone. A few slightly nodded, others replied. I stayed silent and looked up at the man, my eyes fixed on him. He arose and lifted his glass. "I propose a toast. To YN, our newest agent." My cheeks flushed bright red as the rest of his guests lifted their glasses. "To YN." They agreed, Will being the loudest.
      I took a sip of the rich wine, trying to subside my embarrassment. I've always been a little shy, getting called out like this was something that made me nervous. Especially when it was by such a handsome man like Hannibal. After his toast we removed the lids from our plates, being greeted with our meal.
         I carefully picked at the salad as I listened to Will begin to speak. "Jack, I'm getting closer to the Chesapeake ripper. I think our latest case ha-" "Will, lets not talk about that right now." Hannibal suggested with a smile. Will thought for a moment before cutting into his steak. "You're right, I apologize." And with that, we stayed silent for most of our meal, only small, poliet conversations that didn't involve work.
        While others chattered, Hannibal started his own conversation with me. "Are you insecure YN?" He asked. I bit my lip harshly and looked back down at my plate. "Oh, I don't know.." I mumbled. But I could feel his eyes burning into me. "It's okay to be. Just as long as you understand your worth."
     Once dinner was done, most retreated to the billard. Others like Jack and Alana left early. But I happened to stay with Hannibal, sitting on his kitchen counter and drying dishes with him. It just seemed like the polite thing to do.