Fasting

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet (may peace be upon him) observed the fast on the 10th of Muharram ('Ashura) and ordered (Muslims) to fast on that day. But when the fasting of the month of Ramadan was prescribed, the fasting of the 'Ashura was abandoned. 'Abdullah did not use to fast on that day unless it coincided with his routine fasting by chance.

                     **********

Narrated Aisha:

(The tribe of) Quraish used to fast on the day of 'Ashura in the Pre-Islamic period, and then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) ordered (Muslims) to fast on it till the fasting in the month of Ramadan was prescribed; whereupon The Prophet (may peace be upon him) said, "He who wants to fast on 'Ashura may fast, and he who does not want to fast may not fast."

                      **********

Narrated Muhammad Bin 'Abbas:

I asked Jabir, "Did The Prophet (may peace be upon him) forbid fasting on Fridays? He replied "Yes". (Other narrators added, "If he intends to fast only that day")

                     **********

Narrated Abu Aiyub from Juwairiya Bint Al Harith:

The Prophet (may peace be upon him) visited her (Juwairiya) on a Friday and she was fasting. He asked her, "Did you fast yesterday?" She said, "No."

He said, "Do you intend to fast tomorrow?" She said, " No."

He said, "Then break your fast." Through another series of narrators, Abu Aiyub is reported to have said, "He ordered her and she broke her fast."

Ramazan Mubarak to everyone!!