Part II: Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6 – RAISED BY CONSERVATIVES

Two days later I still didn't have a solid response from Frank. Instead all I got were group chat messages about other topics and slightly awkward conversations with my mother. She wanted to know if Mikey knew about us yet, just in case somehow she was the first one to know.

"Mikey has known for a while," I assured her. "He was the first one to find out, actually. Along with..." I suddenly felt embarrassed to tell her that a teacher knew before she did. Although the plot didn't require that she know everything, it was best to be entirely honest. "Along with Mr. Burner. Then you. Ray knows, too. That's it, I think."

As soon as I said "that's it," I realized that wasn't at all "it." Pretty much the entire school was aware if they were paying any attention to us on the last day, and anyone Hunter was friends with, thanks to that picture online. Whatever. She didn't need to know about that.

"Does your father know?"

"I kind of just assumed you told him yourself," I admitted. I hadn't really thought about my dad even being in the picture. He traveled for work so often that I wasn't sure he'd have time to consider my love life.

"Should he know? I mean, if this is a serious relationship..."

"It only just started," I sighed, although I couldn't hide the tone of hope in my voice. Mom only smiled.

I appreciated how much she seemed to actually care about my love life and that she wasn't overly excited. She was casual about it, which was great. The thing was, I wasn't sure I'd ever get used to talking about relationships with my parents. I quickly changed the subject.

"Have you talked to Mikey lately?" I asked. "He keeps asking for updates on the success of his song, but I lost the link to it because I'm a terrible brother."

"Don't say that! Why don't you ask for it again? He'd be more than happy to send it to you, I'm sure." She smiled warmly at me.

"Maybe he would, if he had internet in Joplin."

"I guess he doesn't have that luxury, does he? I just hope being the hands and feet of God over there is more than rewarding in itself. I'm sure he's making some great friends. Has he told you anything about his friends on the trip?"

"He hasn't mentioned any. Has he not been texting you?"

"Not unless I text him something first, and even then he'll only send me a 'yes' or 'no' response. Teenagers." She flicked her wrist as if to dismiss the whole adolescent population. I couldn't blame her.

That Thursday night, I still had no solid answer on whether or not Frank had gotten the guts to tell his parents some kind of excuse to be out this weekend. I wondered what he would say to them. Something told me he wouldn't say anything; not yet.

I shot him a text, to which he replied to in seconds.

From Gerard Way: Should I set my alarm in the morning to get you, or no?

From Frank Iero: Absolutely. See you tomorrow :)

***

Tomorrow marked nearly one-third of the way through our summer break. That's what made me realize that today marked one month of Frank and I being together. Of course the amount of time didn't matter, but it still made the day feel like a landmark of some kind.

I set my alarm for nine in the morning, knowing the festival didn't start until late in the afternoon but still worried I'd sleep until one by mistake and have almost no time to prepare myself. Surely a mixture of excitement and apprehension would keep me up late, as well.