Part III: Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14 - LETTERS TO THE PARENT

Nothing did happen. He was distant for a few days - understandably so - but eventually Frank told me that his parents weren't even acting any differently than usual, never whispering to each other when they thought he couldn't hear them or studying him any closer than they usually would. They asked no questions and he certainly didn't bring it up. Regardless, it was scaring him.

I met with him again just before the month turned. He visited in the afternoon, and we sat outside, enjoying the sun.

"Sorry I've been pushing you away," he said, fiddling with the collar of his shirt.

"Please stop apologizing so much. I understand, really I do. If you don't want to tell them, I do get it."

"It's just... it's just so odd that they still haven't found out. Or at least, they haven't told me they know. But even when one of them has the chance to say something alone me," he stretched his palms in front of him, "not a word about it. Trust me, if they suspected me of being in a secret relationship, they'd call me out in a heartbeat."

"I'd hope they wouldn't," I said, "but I agree that it's weird."

"First, there was Hunter's picture of us," he counted off on his fingers, "then three days of pride, our text conversations they may or may not be reading, not to mention my random absences all throughout summer. My excuses are getting weaker and weaker. Now, that? That was the closest call yet. I have to tell them before they find out on their own."

I looked at him. "Are you sure?"

He was practically trembling at the idea; I hugged him tightly.

"I just don't want them to hear it from anyone but me. I have to come out. Oh, God, I have to come out."

***

A/N: In the middle of a chapter, Cassidy?? Preposterous! But to keep you all from scrolling up and down and up and down, know that I put the whole final letter at the end, and all changes are just to show Frank's thought processes. You don't need to keep track of them all :)

We sat in his room with a nearly blank sheet of paper in front of us. All that was written on it was Mom-, the easiest way to start off the letter. When picking which parent to write to, he decided his mom would be the most understanding of the two, despite all the horror stories I'd heard about her. Frank knew he didn't want to have to deal with her immediate reaction so decided that writing her a letter would give her time to process it. I agreed it was a smart idea, mostly because writing it down allowed him to proofread and pick the words he truly wanted to say, preventing him from saying anything he didn't mean. We both knew it would be best, rather than assuming he'd be able to get the words out without any aid.

He stared at the page for a long time, unsure how to begin. I wasn't sure what to suggest, either.

He finally pressed his pencil to the paper, hesitating, but then scratched into it, Sorry I didn't come to you in person, but

"Stop, you can't start it off with an apology," I said. "Try something more... I don't know. Promising. Like... 'The first thing I want you to know is...'"

He erased what he'd written and jotted down what I suggested, pausing at the end of the phrase. "But what's the first thing I want her to know?"

"You're the only one who knows the answer to that."

"I guess that's true." He completed the sentence with I haven't changed, but then scratched it out. Nothing is wrong he wrote instead.