Chapter 16.

"This is hopeless! We're all going to die of hunger and thirst! This is it! This is how I go! You know what? I've had a good life. I'm ready. Oh who am I kidding?! I don't want to go!" Isla dramatically shouted as she paced along the boat, flailing her arms wildly while Ryder and Blake tried to fix the boat.

Meanwhile, I was sitting on the bench and filming Isla with Ryder's phone since mine was currently fish food.

So as Isla speculated all the ways we were going to die, I became in improv camera man to show her how silly she was in the future.

Thankfully, the wind had died down and the sun even came out so that it wasn't freezing cold outside anymore.

Almost 30 minutes had past since we've found out the boat wasn't starting and we were all slowly starting to get impatient.

"Or what if we do survive? But then Mr. Stevens will kill us? You know what? I'd rather drown," Isla kept on blabbering.

I found it funny until she actually started walking to the edge of the boat. That's when I jumped up and pulled her down to sit next to me.

"God damn. I do not ever want to see you drunk," I complained and she just shrugged.

"No, that needs to go there!" Ryder shouted over by where he and Blake were working.

"How do you know that?" Blake argued.

"Because that's where it was before we did anything!"

"I think we have a better chance of surviving if we swim back instead of waiting for those two eggheads to fix the boat," I dead panned.

"I don't doubt it," Isla agreed.

Just then, Ryder's phone started ringing and I looked down to see who was calling.

It was Dave. One of the three that pranked Mr. Stevens.

I grabbed his phone and answered the call.

"Daaaave! Hey, buddy," I greeted, thankful that there was finally somebody else to talk to because all three of them were starting to get annoying.

"Drunk already, Kennedy? It's not even 5," Dave spoke through the phone.

"I'm not drunk," I replied. "What's up?"

"Where's Ryder?"

"He's uh....," I looked over to where he and Blake were arguing about some cables. "....busy."

"Well, tell him that if you guys don't come back soon, Mr. Stevens will find out soon. He's doing a head count soon so you better be there. That's pretty much all. Peace out!" he said before hanging up.

"Who was that?" Ryder called over to me and stood up from his crouched position, banging his head on the wheel in the process.

"Uh..." I started to say and stood up, tugging the phone into my back pocket. "That was Dave...."

"What did he want?" Ryder asked, crossing his arms over his chest and waiting for an answer.

"Oh...uh...nothing important," I shrugged and walked over to Ryder and Blake. "Just that Mr. Stevens is gonna count if everyone is there soon and if we're not there we most likely will be murdered by him once we run into him again. But no big deal."

"What?!" Isla freaked out and ran to the side of the boat again.

But Blake ran after her and picked her up just before she could jump into the water.

I think all that sun was frying her brain.

I rolled my eyes when Isla started loudly complaining to her boyfriend how a museum is always the safer option and bent down to see what Ryder and Blake had done to the cables.