Chapter 13: Meeting Gaara

*FLASHBACK*

Zabuza-Sensei, Haku-chan, and I had just arrived in the Village Hidden in the Sand. "I'm going out to buy something to eat and some more kunai!" I called out to them, walking out the door of our inn. I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head.

I thanked the shop keeper with a smile and walked out of the shop with my new kunai, shurikan, and two awesome katana. They both had a star at the top of the handle and they fit into a leather strap that can go on your back or around your waist.

There was a sudden chill in the air and someone around the corner screamed. I stopped walking and looked around at all of the people. Several women were tightly clutching their children to their chest, fear obvious in their eyes.

There were a few surprised gasps and scared squeaks when I spotted a boy about my age, 11. He had slightly pale skin and blood red hair. I stared at him in interest as he made his way towards me. He had his arms crossed and the kanji, ai or love, was in red on his forehead.

When he was close enough, I reached out and grabbed his arm. Well, I tried to. My hand smacked into a small patch of sand. I felt something gritty slowly covering the bottom half of my body.

I looked down in awe at the sand covering me up to my calves. I reached down and let some of the sand go up my arm.

"You didn't even make any hand signs! It's totally awesome! Think you could teach me?"

His eyes narrowed as I was covered up to my waist in sand.

"Who are you?" His voice was gravelly, but had a sadness to it.

"He's gonna kill her!" Someone screamed.

"That monster." Millions of tiny whispers went around the various shops and I flinched at some of the words.

"T-They call you a monster?" I asked. He stayed quiet.

I looked down at the ground and sighed.

"They call me one too."

He looked surprised for a second, before regaining his composure. The sand softly fell back to the ground.

I gave him a soft, but sad smile.

"I'm Hibiki," I said, sticking out my hand. He seemed hesitant at first, but eventually ended up shaking my hand.

"Gaara."

-------------------------------------------------

*FLASHBACK ENDED*

The sun had begun to set. I deactivated my Sharingan. My chest felt heavy as I wrapped my bandage around my right eye. I had been training since Kakashi told Team 7 that we'd be participating in the Chunin Exams. Chopped-up logs lay on the ground. I sat happily on the tree stump I had created. Multiple other trees were broken in half or had their limbs littered on the forest floor.

I smirked as I felt Iruka's heartbeat go off into the woods.

"Guess I should get going," I said, standing up and beginning my walk home.

-------------------------------------------------

"Hibiki, someone's here to see you." Neji said. I looked up from my onigiri and towards the angry looking boy.

"Tell them I'll be out in a sec."

He scowled. "Do it yourself." Then he walked away, the scowl etched on his face.

I sighed. None of the Hyuga have grown to like me, except for Hinata. Then again, she's nice to pretty much everybody.

I threw the last piece into my mouth and walked into the courtyard. Everyone ignored me as I walked towards the gates. I gave a lazy wave to the man guarding the gate and walked outside.