Chapter 21: A True Monster

*WARNING: THIS CHAPTER INCLUDES THINGS THAT MAY BE DISTURBING TO OTHERS. SKIP IF NEEDED*

Tenshi-Sensei and I walked beside each other, observing the streets and all of the little shops that were open for business. People held their children and whispered as we walked by, but I was used to it.

"Why today, Sensei?" I asked, gripping her hand tighter to get her attention. She had her eyes narrowed and was giving death glares to all of the people whispering around us.

"Sensei?"

"Oh, um, yes." She continued to glare.

"I didn't ask you a yes or no question," I sighed. "Don't pay attention to them. I've gotten used to all of the whispers anyways." Sensei looked down at me and smiled a little.

"That's not it. I just don't like how they are ruining our special day out." I smiled back.

"It's okay. What I was asking was about why you chose today to bring me out."

"Oh, nothing in particular. Figured we could just talk and get to know each other a little better. You are my student after all."

"I already spend most of my time with you, Sensei. Isn't that enough?"

"Ah, I see how it is." She crossed her arms and looked away from me with a snooty look on her face. "You don't like spending time with me. I guess we don't have to go to Sado's today." I gasped and grabbed onto Tenshi-Sensei's hand, shaking my head.

"No! That's not it! I just feel like I'm taking you away from the others." I looked down at my hands.

"Don't worry, silly. I spend time with them too." She pointed down a ways at my favorite place to eat: Sado's. I smiled and ran ahead, pulling Tenshi-Sensei behind me.

---------------------------------------------------

We both sat at a booth near the corner of the room. We ordered our food and the waitress shuffled away.

"Hibiki, I have something to ask you. Something very, very important that you may not speak to anyone else about." Sensei's face turned very serious and I nodded my head in reply.

"Go ahead, Sensei."

"You don't remember anything, do you?" The temperature in the room dropped and I couldn't move my eyes away from Tenshi-Sensei's.

"W-What?" I choked out. She smiled, at me. An innocent gesture that felt as cold as ice.

"I brought you here to tell you something about your past. About why you're a monster." The way she whispered the word made me shiver. She laughed and set her head on her hand.

"A... monster?" Sensei was one of the only people who had never called me that horrid word. Just the thought of it escaping her mouth made me depressed.

"Of course, there is no other way to describe you because you are definitely not human. The only other word for a thing like you is monster." The waitress brought our plates over and Tenshi-Sensei thanked her, but I was still too frozen to do anything.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She turned back towards me and her grin widened.

"Always the curious one, hm? Well, to explain it to you I have to start from the very beginning.

"Once upon a time," she started sarcastically, "there was a woman named Tenshi who put her whole heart and soul into protecting the Village Hidden in the Stars. She loved her village and every single person in it. The thought of just one death made her want to burst into tears. Then one day there was a discovery on a battlefield. Something very important to the Village and to you.