Chapter 1

Once upon a time, in the hidden heart of France, a handsome young prince lived in a beautiful castle. Although he has everything his heart desired, the prince was selfish and unkind. He taxed the village to fill his castle with the most beautiful objects and his parties with the most beautiful people.

Then one night, an unexpected intruder arrived from the castle, seeking shelter from the bitter storm. As a gift, she offered the prince a single rose. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince turned the woman away. She warned him not to be deceived by appearances.

For beauty is found within.

When he dismissed her again, the old woman's outwdard appearance melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince begged for forgiveness but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. As punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and places a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there.

As days bled into years, the prince and his servants were forgotten by the world for the enchantress has erased all memory of them from the minds of the people they loved. The rose she has offered was truly an enchanted rose. If he could learn to love another, and earn their love in return but the time the last petal fell, the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years past, he fell into despair and lost all hope.

For who could ever learn to love a beast?

-

Belle opened her eyes looking at the walls that she's seen all of her life. She took out her favorite white and blue dress and got ready for the day. She took a book which she will now return and borrow another one from the only library in this town. Belle has always loved books. She doesn't remember when it started but she never bothered to think about it.

Belle looked around at the little town, the quiet village. She noticed that everyday was almost like the one before. She's walking around the little town, filled with little people who'll wake up after a few minutes and say, "Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

Belle knew the daily routine of every villager here. She watched the baker with his trey, like always. The same old bread and rolls that he always sells. She sighed since she felt like every morning was the same since the morning that she came to this town. Her thoughts were distracted when Monsieur Jean greeted her and had a little chat with her. Just as Belle has suspected, Monsieur Jean has lost something again but he doesn't remember what they were.

"Where are you off to?" Monsieur Jean asked her.

She lifted the book in her hands, "To return this book to Père Robert. It's about two lovers in fair Verona."

"Sounds boring," Monsieur Jean commented as he walked away.

Belle sighed at the simplicity of the people around her and continued walking towards the library. Her mind drifted off to what book she'll be able to borrow and whatever adventure she'll have. Even if her mind was off on another land, her ears were still there, hearing the townspeople gossip about her. She's used to it, she hears it everyday along with other normal everyday conversations.

"Bonjour! Good day! How is your family?"

"Bonjour! Good day! How is your wife?"

"I need six eggs! That's too expensive!"

"There must be more than this provincial life," Belle sighed again.

She's always felt like she's meant for something more than this simple life. She wants some adventure, some excitement. That was one of the reasons she loves to read. She loved that the books could be able to take her to places without her even going anywhere. She reached the library and went inside seeing her good friend, Père Robert, the owner of the library. He smiled when he saw Belle's familiar face inside his shop.