Chapter 15

Belle heard laughter in the castle while she was reading in the library. A smile made its way on her face and a look of confusion too. She wondered what would've happened why the staff were so happy. She left the library and followed the sound of laughter which was at the ballroom. Through the small opening of the door, Belle saw that they were playing and laughing as if they weren't cursed. Not wanting to disturb them, she walked away from the ballroom and made her way into the garden. There she saw Adam so engrossed with the book that he was reading that he didn't notice her walking towards him.

"What are you reading?" She asked him.

Adam, hearing Belle's voice, closed the book he was reading as fast as he can and saw her making herself comfortable at a seat in front of him.

"Nothing," he lied.

Seeing the title of the book, Belle smiled. "Guinevere and Lancelot," she read the title.

"Actually it's King Arthur and the Round Table," Adam corrected. "Knights and men and swords and things."

"Still," Belle continued. "It's a romance."

"Alright," Adam didn't want to argue.

Belle looked down at the snow and played with it using her feet. "I never thanked you for saving my life," Belle said after a while.

"Well, I never thanked you for not letting me get eaten by wolves," he told her. Belle smiled and laughed making Adam feel all happy inside.

The sounds of laughter could now be heard outside of the castle, taking both the attention of Adam and Belle.

"They know how to have a good time," Belle commented.

"Yes," Adam agreed. "But when I enter the room, laughter dies," he rolled his eyes in annoyance but there was also a tone of sadness that Belle didn't miss.

"Me too," she told him. Adam looked at Belle with shock. "The villagers say that I'm a funny girl," she explained. "I'm not sure they mean it as a compliment."

"I'm sorry," he said. Belle just shrugged as if it meant nothing to her. "Your village sounds terrible."

Belle smiled. "Almost as lonely as your castle." Belle almost scolded herself for saying that since it might've insulted Adam.

Adam then had this idea pop inside his head. "What do you say we run away?"

Butterflies filled Belle's stomach when he said that. If he was implying what she thought that he was, she feels like she'd do it in a heartbeat.

"What are you talking about?" She asked him.

"I want to show you something in the library," he told her.

Belle then began to wonder what he meant by running away. If he meant it literally or metaphorically, through books. The both of them went inside one of the sections of the library. There Adam took a book that was deeply hidden so that it wouldn't be stumbled upon anyone else but him. Belle watched as he walked towards her and took a few glances at the book he was holding. She could sense that it's different from the others.

"Another little gift from the Enchantress," he started to explain. "A book that truly allows you to escape."

Adam laid the book on the book stand and opened it for Belle to see. Belle was really amazed with what she saw.