• Part 5 •

The warmth of the morning sun did very little to comfort him as he opened his eyes grudgingly. The incessant buzzing of a distant alarm clock was slowly starting to wake his senses as he sat up dazedly, feeling more tired as the moments passed. The neat living space was starting to slowly come into focus and he glanced to his right only to find his roommate's bed was empty and made.

Gone already? The blond stretched with a refreshing yawn as he clumsily made his way towards the alarm clock. I have an early class too, so why is he gone? As Naruto picked up the small clock there was a loud knock on the door. What time is it?

"Naruto!"

7:00AM?!

"You're—"

"LATE!" His body hurled itself from his bed only to stumble forward, lightheaded. "How the hell?!"

"I'm coming in," Neji called out as he entered the room, already in his uniform. "Naruto, what are you doing? Your first class was at six."

"You don't think I know that?" he growled in reply as he stumbled into his uniform pants. "I set that alarm for five o'clock!"

"That doesn't work if you snooze until seven," Neji commented snidely with a faint hint of a smirk.

"I didn't!" He continued to seethe as he fumbled with the buttons of his shirt. "Damn it all!" he groaned as he fell back onto the bed, shutting his eyes tightly. "One hour into the school day and I'm already a failure!"

This earned a chuckle from the Hyuuga. "You're not a failure, Naruto. I'm sure you just set it wrong." His words were reassuring somehow, and Naruto managed to calm his erratic breathing. Neji sat beside him on the bed and began to fasten the buttons on his shirt.

"Wait! You don't have to," the blond stammered, feeling more flushed as he began to sit up.

"It's much easier if you're lying down," the other boy spoke quietly and Naruto found himself obeying every word.

"O-okay..." he breathed as he fell on his back once again. His heartbeat started to become heavier and much faster as he felt a strange heat creep across his cheeks. "You really don't have to watch over me." The fact that Neji had to go out of his way for him was upsetting.

"Yes, I do," he countered calmly as he finished the last button and pulled him up. "I don't really have a choice in the matter. You're new and you need my help."

"I guess," he mumbled, disheartened as he forced himself to look away from Neji, whose hands were now working deftly on putting on his tie.

"Don't get me wrong, Naruto. You're quite interesting enough on your own. I think you'll make friends with someone in no time."

"What about you?" he blurted out involuntarily. Sure, Neji was being helpful because he had to be, but even the help didn't have to go as far as he did.

There was a slight sign of a smile that briefly graced his lips before the older boy led him to the door. "Try being a bit more punctual and we'll talk about it."

Ass.

Naruto trailed behind Neji as he led them toward the campus. He felt a heavy pull in his stomach as they closed in with each step. This feeling refused to leave him and usually made him feel nauseous by the time they reached the gate. There had to be something wrong with him being there.

"I'm actually quite surprised," the dull silence was suddenly broken as he looked up. "I didn't expect you to be in these kinds of classes."

"What kind of classes?" he questioned as he tried to look over at the paper the Hyuuga held in his hands.