✨ Part 25 ✨

"Really? Your hair just stays like that?" Shikamaru remarked skeptically as he looked down at the comb that had failed to tame his friend's hair.

Naruto gave a triumphant chuckle as he scratched the back of his head. The tuxedo that he was ordered had fit him perfectly and he had just been thanking Shikamaru a thousand times over for it. "It's always been this way. Besides, your ponytail isn't as fancy as it could be either."

"Point taken," his friend agreed with a shrug as he tossed the comb over his shoulder. He was not about to compromise by having to actually put time and effort into his hair. "So, what are you going to tell Gai about the waltz? The pattern will be thrown off if you aren't there in the opening dance."

The blond shrugged as they descended down the steps of the dorm, seeing many other boys getting ready like they had. When they stepped outside the sun had been low in the western sky, casting an orange haze that had shone through the trees with a magnificent glow. The air was cool against his hands, and he fit them into his pockets as they carefully walked up the dirt path to keep their clothes clean. At a time like this nothing had to be said.

Shikamaru had refused to hear the monologue until it was performed, and they had already done all they could to prepare for this moment. Naruto could not have asked for a better friend that would help him through anything like Shikamaru did. With his friend walking by his side as they approached the campus it did not look as foreboding as it had in the beginning. There was a newfound confidence that was sparked within him that gave him the courage to face his obstacles from this point on. What a coincidence that, when he decided this, his first obstacle was to survive the most important night of the year.

"Naruto! Shikamaru!" The familiar cry brought their attentions to Gai who still looked silly, even when he was dressed so nicely. "I need you to line up with your escorts in the corridor on the right of the main hall. Our guests have already started to arrive so we're going to be starting the opening waltz soon!"

"Oh... About that..." Naruto mumbled as he looked down at the ground to avoid his teacher's gaze.

"I'll see you inside," Shikamaru stated with a short wave before he retreated quickly into the main building. Great moral support there, buddy.

"Naruto?" Gai inquired, the worry was evident in his voice now.

"I'm sorry..." he started after taking in a reassuring breath. "But my partner—"

"—I'm here! Sorry I'm late!"

He jumped up at the interjection as he was approached by Kakashi who was closely followed by Sakura, and she was breathtaking. Her pink hair was pinned up with red flowers that accented her flowing red gown of lace and silk. The color seemed to give a rosy tint to her usually pale complexion that gave her a radiant glow.

"Sakura?" He questioned with perplexity before her dainty fingers took hold of his wrist.

"Come on, Naruto! We don't want to be late!"

Without enough time to even look back at the two teachers for a farewell he was dragged into the building and led down a series of hallways. He kept silent, afraid to disturb the peace they were having, whatever it may have been called. If there was one thing he did not expect tonight it was that Sakura would ever speak to him again. Her grasp on his wrist let up as she began to slow her pace.

"Sakura... If you don't want to dance with me, I understand."

"When will you get it through that incredibly thick skull of yours?" She interrupted with the gentle question as she looked back at him with a contented smile. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to."