7.

The sun set an hour ago and the night sky continues to darken as we stroll along the streets for yet another night. Sylvie holds her hand in mine and rests her head against my shoulder. "Let's not do anything tonight, Phoenix, I don't feel like running."

"We don't have to run."

She doesn't agree with me but she remains silent.

We walk aimlessly, laughing at different things and Sylvie tells me stories about her childhood. Soon, we end up on a bench on a random street opposite to a park. Sylvie rests her legs on my lap and leans back, closes her eyes and breathes.

After an hour or so I lift her legs to stand up and place them back down on the bench. She opens her eyes but doesn't move her head to look at me. "What are you doing?" She asks quietly. I ignore her as I walk across the street to the convenience store on the corner. "Phoenix, what are you doing?"

Guys on the corner look me up and down as I enter the store. Sylvie follows me in. "Hey, answer me next time, idiot." We're still by the entrance so the guy's hear her and laugh to themselves, I glare at the backs of their heads and grab what I feel like: chips, chocolate and juice. "Here, I'll pay. My treat," Sylvie smirks but I have other ideas, making her smirk disappear within seconds. "No. Phoenix."

The man behind the counter watches me and shouts as I near the door. "Hey man, you gotta' pay for those," I ignore him. "Hey I said you got to pay for those." His shouting catches the attention of the guys outside and I smirk. Sylvie reaches into her bag and throws excess money onto the counter, most likely paying for nearly everything in the damn store. The man stops his shouting but the guys still wait for me outside the store. Bingo.

"You know, I don't take too kindly to people who upset my father." One of them tells me, bigging up his shoulders as if to intimidate me.

"I paid, we're sorry and we're leaving. Goodnight." Sylvie steps in front of me and tries her best to guide me away from the group of four.

"You gonna' let a bitch tell you what to do, pussy?" The son laughs. I smirk and drop the things from my arms though I don't punch him. I never make the first move, not unless it's worth it. The guys retaliate by punching me.

Sylvie screams and moves out of the way. I punch one back, harder, knocking him to the ground. These fuckers had another thing coming if they thought they could handle me. They're slow. Once one of them is down the others try to be quicker but I'm more agile. Sylvie tries stopping one of them but fails, I can see the determination in her baby blues but she's not strong enough.

"Stop it!" She yells, the father of the guy I knocked out stands in the doorway of the store with his phone to his ear, talking too quickly to understand. "Phoenix we have to go, now. Come on Phoenix, let him go!" She pulls at my arm, begging me. I stand from my position on the floor and look at the four of them on the cold ground, three of them hold a place on their body groaning in pain whilst the store keeper aids to his son. Sylvie pulls at my jacket. I grab my juice, my chocolate and my chips and allow her to drag me away from the scene.

Police sirens bounce of the walls making Sylvie panic and pull me to run faster.

She didn't want to run.

We run until we're safe and then we stop to catch our breath. Once Sylvie calms down, she walks away from me. "Why did you do that?"

"A guy hits me, I hit him back. You said it yourself Sylvie."

"There was no reason for you to do that though." She stops and turns around to look at me, her arms crossed and her eyebrows furrowed.

"Not everything needs a reason. When you feel like doing something, you do it."

WRITER'S NOTE

I feel this was my worst chapter but hopefully you are still enjoying the story, comment and let me know your thoughts on what will happen in the future for Phoenix and Sylvie (:

Anonymous