12 | that night

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT the way that the clouds started to gather up and release heavy rains by the time Emiline and Kira left the laundry shop

        THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT the way that the clouds started to gather up and release heavy rains by the time Emiline and Kira left the laundry shop. It was sudden, and the road gets slippery enough that Kira almost swerved onto the road and bump into a lamp post, but fortunately enough, they didn't get into any street accidents.

        "What are you thinking right now?" Kira asks Emiline who's now looking out the car window with tired and lifeless eyes.

        "Dying," Emiline answers shortly, her voice cracking, she's fidgeting with her fingers ever since they started hitting the road.

        Kira sighs for the umpteenth time that midnight, "No seriously Em."

        Kira turns the car around the corner, remembering the way back to the inn she's staying at. She's not entirely sure if they'd make it there in time before Emiline's time limit. She told Kira earlier that she'll be leaving before three in the morning, and as Kira looks towards her watch, they only have like less than three hours left.

        "I'm serious, Kira," Emiline says apathetically, "I mean it."

        "You can't just think about dying. And you can't just joke about it like it's nothing serious."

        Emiline drags out a long breath before facing Kira who's eyes are trained on the road but ears are intently listening, "I said I'm serious. I mean it. And you can't understand my decision unless you've been in my shoes."

        Kira looks at her dark-haired friend and felt offended for a second, "Well technically I know what you've been through. I experienced all those slut-shaming and everything too, remember?"

        The rain isn't coming into a stop but fortunately enough, it wasn't pouring down hard either. Besides from the sound of the raindrops, the sound of her breathing and Emiline's are the only sound that can be heard inside the car.

        "Well fortunately enough for you," Emiline starts, a little bit irritated, "you weren't caught on a video making out with the most popular boy in school and then seconds later doing it with your own cousin for crying out loud!"

        Kira opens her mouth to say something but then shuts it close again after a few seconds. Emiline is right, aside from the constant cat-calling and slut-shaming, she wasn't humiliated like that.

        "And you know what's even worse?" Emiline continues, fury starting to build up inside her, "it's that nobody, as in no one believes my side of the story! And everyone just jumps into conclusion about me like they know me in that ten-fucking-minutes of video!"