Body Dysmorphic Disorder

I felt like this chapter was an important chapter to include in this book, the main character in this story, Florence Clarke experiences a condition named Body Dysmorphia Disorder, some of you may have heard of it, some of you may have not, but ei...

I felt like this chapter was an important chapter to include in this book, the main character in this story, Florence Clarke experiences a condition named Body Dysmorphia Disorder, some of you may have heard of it, some of you may have not, but either way please read this chapter for further explanation.

What is Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to have a distorted view of how they look and to spend a lot of time worrying about their appearance.

For example, they may be convinced that a barely visible scar is a major flaw that everyone is staring at, or that their nose looks abnormal.

Having BDD does not mean the person is vain or self-obsessed.

When does low-self confidence turn into BDD?

Almost everyone feels unhappy about the way they look at some point in their life, but these thoughts usually come and go, and can be forgotten. However, for someone with BDD, the thoughts are very distressing, do not go away and have a significant impact on daily life. The person believes they are ugly or defective and that other people perceive them in this way, despite reassurances from others about their appearance.

Who is affected?

It's estimated that up to one in every 100 people in the UK may have BDD, although this may be an underestimate as people with the condition often hide it from others. BDD has been found to affect similar numbers of males and females.

The condition can affect all age groups, but usually starts when a person is a teenager or a young adult, when people are generally most sensitive about their appearance.

It's more common in people with a history of depression or social phobia. It often occurs alongside OCD or generalised anxiety disorder , and may also exist alongside an eating disorder, such as anxiety or bulimia.

Typical behaviours of someone with BDD:

 A person with BDD may:

Constantly compare their looks to other people's spend a long time in front of a mirror, but at other times avoid mirrors altogether spend a long time concealing what they believe is a defect become distressed by a particular area of their body (most commonly their face) feel anxious when around other people and avoid social situations be very secretive and reluctant to seek help, because they believe others will see them as vain or self-obsessed seek medical treatment for the perceived defect – for example, they may have , which is unlikely to relieve their distress excessively diet and exercise

Although BDD is not the same as OCD, there are some similarities. For instance, the person may have to repeat certain acts, such as combing their hair, applying make-up, or picking their skin to make it "smooth".

BDD can also lead to self- harm, and even thoughts of suicide

Getting help:

People with BDD are often reluctant to seek help because they feel ashamed or embarrassed.

However, if you have BDD, there is nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about. It is a long-term health condition, just like many physical conditions, and it's not your fault.

Seeking help is important because it's unlikely that your symptoms will improve if left untreated, and they may get worse.

You should visit your GP if you think you may have BDD. Initially, they will probably ask a number of questions about your symptoms and how they affect you, such as:

Do you worry a lot about the way you look and wish you could think about it less?

 What specific concerns do you have about your appearance? 

On a typical day, how many hours is your appearance on your mind? 

What effect does it have on your life? 

Does it make it hard to do your work or be with friends?

If your GP suspects BDD, they can refer you to a mental health specialist for further assessment and any appropriate treatment.

Treating BDD:

With treatment, many people with BDD will experience an improvement in their symptoms.

The specific treatments recommended for you will depend on how severely BDD affects your daily life.

If you have relatively mild BDD, you will usually be referred for a talking treatment called . More severe cases may be treated with a type of medication called a and/or more intensive CBT.

Support groups:

(Please bear in mind that I live in the UK so most of these charities operate in the UK, if you feel you are in need of help in your country searching up 'Body Dysmorphia helpline' along with the country you live in should bring up charities that do amazing work worldwide)

Some people may find it helpful to contact or join a support group for information, advice and practical tips on how to cope with BDD in daily life.

To find out if there are any groups in your area, ask your doctor or check the on the website.

As well as the BDD Foundation, you may also find the following organisations useful sources of information and advice:

Anxiety Helpline– helpline on 08444 775 774

Mind– infoline on 0300 123 3393 

OCD Action– helpline on 0845 390 6232 

OCD UK– advice line on 0845 120 3778 

This advice is purely that, advice please be sure to consult your parents or ask for advice from an adult you trust before contacting anyone, all the information on here was taken from the National Health Service website (England) and was written by professionals, I will leave the original website as an external link and links to other websites below, and remember I am always here to talk about any problems you have!

LINKS:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/body-dysmorphic-disorder-bdd/#.WS1SuTM-L5Y

http://bddfoundation.org/helping-you/questionnaires-do-i-have-bdd/