The Last Step (5)

Leo Lei could see his impending doom step closer to him with every evidence that was presented over his trail.  He listened with object horror of all the dirt they were able to dig up.  With each testimony from many ministers and merchants who he called friend, they were able to build a story line and time table of all of his offenses against the throne, country and it's citizens.  

Leo hung his head low as the final verdict was read out loud for everyone to hear.  

"For his offenses against the crown, Cara Country and it's citizens, we find Prime Minster Leo Lei guilty for his crimes."  The Chief of Police shouted for the whole court hall to hear.  

Leo tightly gripped his  bound hand  into fists, behind his back.  He gritted his teeth as he stared down the men he called friends for over 30 years.  Even his childhood friends didn't stand up for him or his character.

"Do you have anything to say Prime Minister Lei?"  King Nao asked coldly.  

Leo shook his head no.  Over the two weeks that he was under house arrest.  He had aged several decades.  His hair had fallen out.  His skin, wrinkled with age spots and opened sores.  He had lost several pounds and drank himself into oblivion hoping the wine would kill him before the trial date.  Before he would watch his whole life and career burn before his eyes. 

"I'm surprised you don't have anything to say."  King Nao said mockingly.  "You always have something so say about everything.  And now that your crimes against this crown and this King has been presented, you have nothing to say?" 

King Nao stared at his Ministers that were there in court.  Searching to see if anyone would be bold enough to meet his eyes.  

"This King knows you did not work alone to achieve all your crimes over the years undetected.  This King's court is corrupted with you at it's core.  This King will keep digging until every corrupted Minister is prosecuted!  This King will give you no mercy for your crimes.  This King will not give you or any of your partners in crime any leniency.  You shall be the kindle that this King will light to cleanse this court."  King Nao told the court.  

He watched each Minister closely as he said his words.  "Leo Lei, for your crimes against this King, this country and Cara citizens, you shall be beheaded in the middle of the market square.  You will face the citizens that you stole from and your death will be the answer to quench their anger.  Your beheading will be tomorrow at high noon.  All properties of the Lei Clan will be taken away and forfeited to this crown in compensation.  Your wives and your servants will have one day to take only what they can carry and they shall never be allowed back into the royal city for the rest of their lives.  Your name shall be stricken off Cara history never to be mentioned again. So this King have said, so it will be." 

-------------

At high noon, the sun blazed hot and fierce like the anger that each Cara citizen felt when they heard of Prime Minister Lei's crimes.  Their anger called for Leo's blood as their suffering was partly due to his greed.  His high and noble reputation that he always had was a lie.  Everything about him was a lie.  

Leo got inside the carriage that brought him to his death.  He could hear the shouts, screams and curses of the people hurling at him from inside the jail cell he slept in last night.  His heart worried for his death, but it also worried for his wives.  They would have to live with the shame of being the Madams of the Lei Clan for the rest of their lives.  They would suffer for his crimes and ambitions.  He sighed heavily as he slowly accepted his fate. 

 When he sat down, the door opened again and he was surprised at the two people who got inside with him.  His heart lifted in hope seeing the two figures settle across from him as the carriage moved forward towards the center of the market square where his son's body hung, just a few months ago.  

"H-Hell King?" Leo whispered.  A light of hope could be seen in his eyes.  Maybe Hell King came inside the carriage to strike a deal with him and he could save his life.  Maybe Hell King can help his wives.  The possibilities were endless with Hell King in the carriage with him.  

"It is not my King Husband who wants to be here to speak with you."  Lihua tells Leo.  "He's just here to support me and witness your downfall further into oblivion."  

"W-what do you mean?"  Leo whispered in fear.  

"You had three daughters and one son, did you not?"  Lihua asked.  

"I-I don't understand.  Why would--" 

"Just answer the questions."  Lihua interjected.  

"Yes."  

"All your children died within two years.  How unfortunate to have your children who you raised into adulthood die, before you die."  Lihua said.  "The most painful thing a parent could feel is the death of their child before the death of the parent.  Or so I'm told.... The most unfortunate death was your legitimate born daughter who is the only innocent person in the Lei household." 

"How dare you---"  

"Yes, I dare!  I dare because you and I both know it's true....Her name is Lihua as well is it not?"  Lihua said calmly.  "What a coincidence that your first born daughter and I share the same name."  

Leo kept quiet.  His heart started beating wildly as he listened.  

"You never treated Young Miss Lihua very well.  Although you thought you raised her well, your absence in her life killed her.  The people you called servants bullied and cursed at her.  While the wives and daughters encouraged the servants of their behavior and they plotted to kill your daughter behind your back.  They poisoned her, snuck her out of the estate and left her to die in a cave."

"Ho-how do you know this?"  

"The moment she died, you saw a small light of accomplishment and luck with Lisa's marriage to the Crown Prince.  However, as quickly as the small achievement arrived, bad luck descended upon your household.  Your children, your wives, your servants... your reputation, your wealth, your power, your career, even your health.  Everything that you love and cherish.  Everything that you hold dear, all gone.  Taken away from you.  Did you think that this is all a coincidence?  Or was it perfectly planned?"  

Leo stared in horror and anger at Lady Lihua.  Why did he think it was a streak of bad luck that made him lose everything?  Who had enough intelligence and power to cause his downfall?  Who hated him enough to take everything away from him? 

"Are you mad father?"  Lihua said clearly.  Leo whipped his head to look at her.  His eyes looked disbelieving with hope and horror.