12

Claudia walked to the bakery, humming softly to herself.

"Bonjour! How can I help you today?" An older man smiled.

"Could I get two loaves of bread?"

"Of course!"

He pulled the loaves off the shelves and handed them to Claudia. She placed some coins on the counter, thanked him and left.

"Claudia!" A voice called.

She turned around to see Gaston running towards her, holding a bouquet of flowers. She began to push her way through the crowd of villagers, hoping to avoid him.

"Pardon me! Excuse me! Please let me through!" Claudia said as she weaved in and out of the people.

"Claudia!" Gaston said finally catching up to her and walking in front of her.

Claudia sighed in annoyance, "Move,"

She brushed past him and continued to walk.

"Claudia wait!"

She ignored him and walked behind a fence.

"Claudia, you can't be mad at me forever," Gaston said.

"Watch me," Claudia snapped and locked the gate.

Gaston unlocked it and ran towards her.

He handed her the flowers.

Claudia gave him a look, "Flowers? Really? You're going to have to try harder than that," She said shoving them in his face.

"You're a fighter, just like me," Gaston said.

Claudia grimaced and scrunched up her nose.

"The last thing I want to do is be like you," she said walking up the stairs.

Gaston followed and grabbed her dress. Claudia put her foot up on his chest, to stop him from getting closer to her.

"Get your hands off of my dress," She said yanking it back.

"You know, being a fighter is a good quality to have in a wife," Gaston said.

"Excuse me? Are you implying that I be your wife?!"

"Possibly,"

Claudia scoffed, "I will never marry you Gaston. And are you serious? You go from courting Belle last week and now you're moving on to me? What is it? One says no, so you move on to the next? Like Mason said, are you really that desperate for a wife? You disgust me! Plus, I'm not looking for a husband nor do I plan on getting married soon!"

Claudia continued to scowl at him, "Now, you either get out of my way, or I will kick you down these steps!"

"You wouldn't dare," Gaston replied.

"You want to watch?" Claudia asked, digging her boot into Gaston's chest.

Gaston chuckled bitterly.

In one swift move, Claudia kicked him down the steps, causing him to topple over and land in a muddy puddle.

"I told you I would," Claudia said briskly walking past him.

**

Claudia and Mason rode through the forest together with Gaston trailing behind them.

A loud roar came from somewhere deep in the forest. Claudia halted her horse.

"Mason did you hear that?" She asked.

"Hear what?" He asked, stopping too.

"That roar! It sounded like some kind of beast!" Claudia said.

"A beast! He's got fangs, razor sharp ones! Massive paws and killer claws! Watch out Claudia. He'll come stalking you at night!" Mason teased.

Claudia laughed slightly.

"There's a beast running wild there's no question, but I fear the monster's closer than we think," Claudia said, turning to look at Gaston.

"What are you talking about? Gaston?"

"Yes. He is a monster! He tried to, well, you know. Why do you think I asked you to come with? I don't want to be alone with him. And I have this feeling. I don't know how to describe it other than this dreadful pit in my stomach. I have this awful feeling that he, Gaston, is going to do something terrible and unforgivable. I just don't know what,"