17

Outside, the Beast sat on a bench, underneath a frost covered rose tree, reading a book. Odette tied her cloak around her and went outside to join him.

"What are you reading?" She asked, sitting next to him.

He closed the book hurriedly and tucked it under his arm.

"Oh, nothing," He said.

Odette smirked and grabbed the book out from under his arm. She smiled up at him once she saw the cover.

"Romeo and Juliet, huh?" Odette smirked proudly.

"Yes but you know, I'm only reading it for the feuds and deaths," He replied.

"But still, it's a romance!"

"Alright, you caught me. I decided to read it again after seeing how you lit up while talking about it,"

Odette smiled.

**

A few hours later, when the sun was shining bright, Odette went outside to brush her horse. The Beast came outside soon after. He reached out to pet Pearl, but she whinnied and backed up behind Odette.

Odette chuckled, "It's alright Pearl," She said petting her muzzle.

"Come closer," Odette said to him.

He reached out and and touched Pearl's back. He smiled and began to pet her. Odette smiled at the sight of the two. She noticed some birds hopping along the frozen ground and got an idea.

"You stay right here, I'll be right back," She said to him.

"What are you doing?"

"You'll see,"

When Odette walked in, everyone was crowded around the window.

"Were you watching us?" Odette asked playfully.

"Maybe," Cogsworth said.

Odette chuckled.

"It's so nice to see you two bonding," Mrs. Potts said.

"He's different. There's something sweet, and almost kind. He was mean and he was course and unrefined. But now he's dear, and I'm so unsure. There's simply something there that wasn't there before," Odette said.

"Who'd have ever thought?" Mrs. Potts said.

"Not me," Odette answered, "I'm going to go back outside, but I'll talk to you all later.

Odette went into the kitchen and grabbed a small piece of bread.

"What's that for?" The Beast asked once Odette was back outside.

"I'll show you," Odette said.

She broke of a very tiny piece and tossed it at the birds. They all scurried towards it, and looked back up at Odette for more. She kneeled down and held out her palms for them. A couple of them flew onto to her and began to peck away at the bread crumbs.

"Can I try?" He asked.

"Of course! Here, take a small piece and gently toss it at them," She said handing him a piece.

He broke off a large chunk and whipped it at the birds. They all scattered and flew in different directions.

"Gentle!" Odette laughed, "Like this," She said guiding his paw.

He tossed it gently and the birds flew back and began to eat the bread again.

"Good, right like that," Odette smiled.

She turned around to feed the other birds behind her, and when she turned back around to grab some more bread, the Beast was covered in all the birds. Odette threw her head back with laughter.

"What do I do?" He asked stiffly.

"They like you!" Odette giggled.