Chapter 2

Although Morningside is over eighteen kilometres from Rhodesville Estate, love-smitten Moyo hits the highway Sunday morning. No better way to spend the day than resolve this enticing affair with Sheline, the lady who's making it tough to concentrate at work.

But it shouldn't be hard to win Sheline over. He has a car with which to take her around town, one of those activities Morningside ladies enjoy. Refusing to wave him goodbye the last time, and avoiding eye contact, she must be taking him for a struggling taxi-driver. By now her mom would have corrected that impression.

With Sheline he'll make his proposal flawless, wasting no time to express how he feels and avoiding perambulating. But then he knows little about her. Maybe he should sneak around until he gathers enough details before launching a proposal she can't decline.

While joggling which of the two approaches will work, Moyo muses through old attempts, during which Richard's recommendations come to mind.

On a day his girlfriend stood him up for three hours for which she offered no apology, upon which she left him for another person, Moyo then approached his friend for ideas on how to win a decent lady. He was almost in tears, throwing hands in the air. "A flat in my name and a car to drive around, yet the ladies aren't coming. What's wrong with me?"

"You've got to take things easy, dude." Richard's grabbed Moyo's shoulders. "Ladies won't flow with you when you interact with them as if you're having a business talk. Relax your mind. Enjoy her company and stop being too hard. They like confident men who are in control."

"But I smile most times."

"I'm not talking about those mannequin smiles of yours. Develop a true sense of humour and catch your fun when hanging out with them. Improve your listening skills and read a lot. That way, you'll have interesting topics to discuss, not those fuel-scarcity problems and bad economy gist you bore them with."

"Oh."

"Yes. Step up the game, boy. You have a car to cruise and some change in your pocket. Just adjust your lifestyle a bit and work on your appearance. Things will smoothen out."

"Okay, coachie."

Such pep-talks led to increased social engagements: visiting cinemas, eating out and attending public functions.

Moyo also picked up the habits of reading foreign magazines and watching epic movies, following which he met Victoria, a lady he dated but who was head and shoulder above him. He would later deem her arrogant and money-guzzling when the larger share of his wages got spent on Brazilian-wigs, skin-lightening creams and costly cosmetics.

Besides, she had no career focus or any plan in life. After living with her for four months, he needed no counselling to show her the door. He ditched two other ladies afterwards.

What Moyo desires in a lady is ambition and appeal, a forward-looking babe with whom he can achieve his dream of becoming a businessman. One who'll blend well with his family members. Particularly, her monthly demands shouldn't leave a big hole in the pocket.

Sheline should be that person. The chance meeting with her must be a blessing from above because it happened on a day he reserved for wife-hunting. "God smiles on me at last," he says, peering into the rear-view mirror.

Reassessing the issue, with such a beautiful young lady in that Morningside neighbourhood, guys will swarm around her, asking for a date. Where can a golden fish hide in the river? Well, whether she's dating or not, he'll sort that out soon.

Moyo parks the car on the service lane of Western Street, some considerable metres away from Sheline's house. He alights from it and scans the terrain, watching for passersby while he recalls details of his last visit here.