Chapter 5

Two weeks after Moyo's laborious proposal, Sheline doesn't reach out to him, a situation he can't cope with. The pensive man finds himself driving to Morningside this Saturday afternoon, eager to know what she feels about him. "Whether or not she's interested in marrying me, I'll know today."

On the highway, he wonders if the nosy fat woman he once met on Western Street reported to Audrey. I hope that woman won't spoil my chances. He grips the steering wheel tighter, gritting his teeth, at the mere thought of it.

Moyo parks at his usual spot, alights from the car and dusts his navy-blue chinos trousers. He then checks his sparkling white polo shirt for stains. None. Grabbing a rag off the dashboard, he wipes dust off his moccasin shoes and then plods towards the building in confident strides.

Finding the gate open, he walks through and waits at the doorstep. A single knock brings Sheline to the door which she opens with a cautious grin. Moyo's heart skips a beat as his eyes meet hers. This is the lady that's been giving him sleepless nights? "How are you?" He looks up with hope.

She nods, leaving the door open as she steps back in.

"Come in," Audrey's voice rings from within, sending Moyo's eyebrows towering. He walks in to find Audrey seated by the dining table, a white teacup in front of her. She dons a blue gown made of African fabric, and her head is covered with a scarf. Mama has her spectacles on.

"Mauya," Moyo greets, rubbing both hands together. His lips extend into a 'no problem' smile.

"Welcome. Please, take a seat."

Moyo looks around before sinking into a chair. He opts for the one closest to the door. In case discussions turn sour, the host won't have enough time to gauge his facial expressions before he makes for the door.

Sheline stands behind Audrey, arms folded on the chest, sizing him up like a trendy barometer. But before Moyo catches a whiff of what might have transpired behind his back, she walks away with a firm gait, telling him he has unfinished business with her mom. Offering an old woman a lift on a bad day doesn't make him the daughter's Mr Right.

To suppress his anxiety Moyo looks around, observing the artistic wall designs, electronic gadgets, deluxe furniture, chandeliers and more – all clean and neatly arranged. The room feels cosy, far more comfortable than his parent's Nyerere Street residence. But not as grandiose as the abode of one of his bosses whose mansion he has visited a couple of times. This must be a middle-class family – a very-religious one at that. Portraits of Jesus lining the walls attest.

But why don't they have a car? Well, having a vehicle to move around should score him a point or two on the old woman's assessment sheet. That might just be the joker in this matter, should there be other suitors. He'll have to wait and see.

Maintaining a happy face and regulating his anxiety, Moyo's eyes settle on the Samsung 50-inch flat-screen TV which is currently showing a Nollywood drama. Knowing the woman is studying him, probably thinking how best to get the discussions rolling. There's a reason they asked him to come in and take a seat, after all.

For five minutes Audrey refuses to talk, a silence moment that announces to Moyo that the impact of his free hike has waned. Mama is evaluating him as a suitable suitor for her daughter – a task which deserves objectivity.

Moyo furrows his brows, tilts forward, elbows on knees, ready for the worst. A heavy sigh escapes him as doubts of leaving the house with favourable news set in.

Will Sheline accept to date him? Will she ever consider marrying him at all? He overstepped his bounds and pushed his luck too far by choosing to come here. They invited him into the house is to lessen the insult that he's too poor to propose to such a beautiful girl.