Chapter 22

Half-past seven in the morning, Molefi hits the bell at the Polemann mansion, reporting for work for the first time. Dressed in a blue short-sleeve shirt, beige trousers and wearing a striped tie, his brogue shoes glitter in the early morning sun. He carries a small travelling bag containing a tourist's three-day needs. The excuse at home had been that he might not return home after today's induction.

Pono is at the door to welcome Molefi, but this time with a warm smile. "Welcome, boss."

Molefi flinches at being called a boss. Since when?

In the main living room waiting for the new hire, an act Pono considers strange, Bandele perches on the sofa wearing a white cufflinks shirt, a pair of blue trousers and loafers. His choice of clothing indicates the importance he accords this day. He expects a lot from the incoming lad.

Molefi steps into the house in brisk strides, walks to the middle of the sitting-room flashing a long stare at Bandele who suddenly pass for a business executive. He's unsure if previous new-hires got similar reception on their resumption day. "Good Morning, sir!"

Bandele grits his teeth, digesting the overall impression that the new hire is ready for the new role. "You're lucky you dress well." He lifts to his feet, clasping both hands. "If you come today in a t-shirt or sneakers, I'll ask you to go home and look for another job. Ask Pono." He points his lips toward the diminutive lad who nods a thousand times.

Bandele plods around Molefi, checking out every part of his body as if the lad is on auction. "Smart boy, what do you have for me today?"

In what will turn out a very busy day, Molefi drops his bag to retrieve three sheets of paper. The long hours put into writing last night will now prove invaluable. "This is a magnificent building..."

Bandele waves his left hand, a sign that reminds Molefi he must dumb down his presentation. No need for over-the-moon vocabularies.

Molefi begins calmly, taking up formal posturing. "This building is a big and special one."

Bandele takes a seat, reclining on the backrest of the sofa.

"Instead of the 'No. 1' on the sign-post outside, a building like this should have a special name. If this is a developed country, they'll call this place a palace or a castle."

Bandele tilts his head, stroking his chin. "What do you think it should be?"

"Well, one of the options I came up with is The Polemann Castle."

Bandele casts a long glance into the distance, nodding at the proposed label which sounds okay. Molefi takes that to mean a pass mark. He rolls out his ideas more resolutely.

"To announce the new name, we may put a panel at the top of the building. An electronic panel that will display shining lights, just like those in big night clubs. No one will miss the building when they enter the street. The entire Soweto will know that there's only one castle: the one belonging to Bandele – The Lion of Soweto."

Bandele moves to the edge of the chair. "What did you just call me now?"

"Lion of Soweto, sir." Molefi's face drops, unsure how the boss will receive the appellation.

"A lion?"

Silence.

It occurs to Molefi to do some explaining, but Bandele's sudden weird guffaw puts the idea in check. The big man's laughter spreads out to the surrounding buildings.

The driver, along with the security guys, balks on their seats.

Molefi sheds light nonetheless. "Sir, you're like a lion in this environment. People of this area depend on you in so many ways. And for that reason, they must recognise your leadership, your supremacy."