Chapter 24

Pono gathers three of his henchmen at the Polemann Castle sitting-room, ready to receive lessons from Molefi who's been wowing the boss since his arrival. The next reform will be about handling Bandele's countless ladies. The motive for today's training is clear: Visits to the mansion will no longer be an all-comers affair.

To ensure a smooth sail, Molefi wants to upskill the field guys.

Dressed in a new navy-blue suit and a matching sky-blue tie, Molefi emerges from his room to find four men waiting for him. It's heartening to know that Pono keys into his reforms, having been of the notion that the taciturn guy might dislike them.

Pono has no qualms with Molefi, but the urchins on seat have fears about the new boss. Does this training mean they've been shirking in their duties? Will Molefi grease their pockets the way Pono does? Questions line their contoured faces and ragged sleeves.

Molefi inspects the guys' shoes, finding them worn and weather-beaten. Their shirts are torn, face caps washed-out and dirty. They must have left permanent stains on the chairs they're seated on.

Not a single one of them have a fair dentition. If the entire front row isn't missing, there'll be gaps. But their teeth are coated with brownish layers. Are these the best set of jobless people around? Can these men speak well enough to win over the kind of ladies Bandele wants around? No wonder girls turn down their invites. Classy ladies won't respond to greetings from these louts.

Molefi heaves a sigh. "Hello, gentlemen."

"Yebo, baba!" "Kunjani, boss!" "Kateevo!"

Unfamiliar greetings fly around, but it's the reek of early-morning alcohol that induces a frown on Molefi's face, though it's only half-past eight. Their guttural voices attest to several years' dalliance with smoking the local nyaope.

He'll not fire these guys – that might infuriate Pono who's been nice so far. Besides, should the lads raise dust about being sacked, the street may go agog, giving Bandele the impression that he, Molefi, lacks man-management skills.

Reskilling is the way to go.

Molefi reckons that he hasn't been close enough to Pono, probably on account of their age difference. Pono should be forty-five or so – his age is hard to guess. But he's way older than Bandele.

"Let me see you briefly," Molefi says to Pono, after which they move over to Molefi's desk. "You haven't been talking to me much. I'm sure there are many things you still want to share with me."

"Boss, there's nothing much I can say to you. The changes you're making in this house are good."

"You like them?"

"Sure."

"The manager before you didn't do anything. Bandele fired him after three months."

"So there have been managers before me?"

"Many. Nkosi may not tell you, but he's watching you. His security men are all over the place. There's a room at the back of the house where they sit permanently, watching everything happening in this house."

Molefi recalls the upper-floor room which is always under lock and key. Maybe that's where Bandele communicates with the security staff. And then those rooms close to the boys-quarters which he's been instructed not to move close to.

"I see...tell me: how does the boss like my work so far?"

"He's enjoying your changes. He likes new things."

"We're on the right track, neh?"

"Yes."

Pono's positive vibes prompt Molefi to change the topic. "So, how long have you been working with these guys and who pays them?" He points to the urchins.