Chapter 10

Saturday morning, true to his words, Moyo brings Sheline to his people. Ma Malvin, her sister and Tobi, eager to receive the guests, waits outside the compound. A few of their neighbours are also around to witness the occasion. Moyo is popular in the area, so glimpsing his wife-to-be doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Pa Malvin remains indoors, as does Tauya.

"They are here!" Ma Malvin waves both hands sky-high the moment Moyo's car cruises into view. She won't even let him park before rushing towards him. On sighting the lady seated on the front passenger seat, the old woman heightens the drama. "Praise God," she yells, waving side to side. Her screams alert everyone in the neighbourhood to the arrival of her beloved son.

Moyo and Sheline emerge from the car looking well at peace with each other. His cherished white long-sleeve shirt glitters. Having it tucked into dark-blue chinos trousers, with a black loafers shoe to match, makes the occasion look formal.

Sheline dons a sleeveless yellowish knee-length gown, covering her head with a golden scarf rolled around her forehead in a rim. The yellow band of her wristwatch and chiffon handbag gives her a simple African-girl look.

As they walk towards the building, neighbours welcome them with various modes of greetings which reflect their diverse ethnic backgrounds. While Moyo waves back with a broad smile, Sheline isn't sure how to cope with the barrage of greetings which sounds like those reserved for married couples. She isn't married yet; she's only here to see Moyo's parents.

On taking their seats in the living room, surrounded by Moyo's family members, the exchange of pleasantries continues and that takes a while to subside.

Ma Malvin won't stop greeting the guests. "Welcome, people."

Sheline, experiencing this kind of attention for the first time, drops her eyes at what seems like an overwhelming assembly. When not looking at the floor, she'll be stealing glances at everyone on seat, especially Pa and Ma Malvin who're seated opposite.

Her shyness rubs off on Moyo who had earlier delivered a lengthened lecture on how to make a good impression at his family house. Not that his parents are fussy, far from that, he just doesn't want surprises.

"Where are you two coming from?" Tauya asks, measuring up the lady whose appearance doesn't portray the destitute personality Moyo painted the week before.

"Morningside," Moyo says.

"Morningside! Uhmm." Tauya repeats, eyeing Sheline's bright dress. If she's from that part of town her parents must be rich. That means she'll have some shoulder-raising attitudes, despite her seeming humble outlook. "Do you people talk to each other?" He asks Moyo.

"Sure," Moyo jerks, rising to his feet. It's time to introduce his woman to every member of his family. "This is Sheline – the one I've been talking about. She's pleased with and I'm pleased with her. She lives with her mom in Morningside but her dad is late. She's a Shona girl, just like us."

"Sheline!" The name swims in the air, echoing around the room as people exchange glances. The sweet-sounding name matches her cool-headed personality and undeniable beauty. For a lady living in that part of the city, agreeing to a relationship with a man here in the ghetto, she must be down-to-earth and well-trained.

Sheline's knees hit the carpet on the floor as she acknowledges the complimentary remarks flying around her. She stays there for a bit.

Next, Moyo introduces his family members, their position and status in the family. He begins with his father and wraps up with the neighbours who have been like a family since his younger days.