Chapter 27

The entire Polemann Castle household wakes up late the day after Loretta's visit. Even Pono who slept alone refuses to leave his room on time since his bosses aren't up yet.

At a quarter past eleven, Molefi goes to check if Bandele needs his attention. But in essence, he wishes to know if mother and daughter shared the same room with the Polemann landlord. Soweto is opening his eyes to how lowly people will stoop when in need of money.

To his chagrin, Loretta and Dineo are nowhere around. Bandele reclines in the lobbyroom, watching TV. Akida, who has since taken a favourite spot in the left corner of the lobbyroom, stands with hands folded across his chest, his sunshade glittering, his mountain-sized chest breathing.

"How are you, Molefi?" Bandele greets with a grin.

"Very okay, boss."

Bandele points at the sofa opposite. "Sit down."

Complying Molefi raises his brows. Last night's encounter must be pleasing.

"You did well yesterday by bringing those tenants to me. I wasn't expecting anyone."

"Thank you, sir. I just decided to try." Molefi touches his temple. "Are they still in the room?"

"No. They left around half-past five." Bandele rubs a side of his neck.

"Oh."

"Did you say water tap problems brought them here?"

"Yes, boss. That's what they said."

"She told me a different story this morning. She needs cash to support her daughter who is leaving for the university."

Molefi's scrunches his face. "But she can apply for students' bursary loans from the government."

"The government doesn't give free loans." Bandele touches his chest. "I'm the only one who gives free loans. They came at the right time."

"Correct, boss."

Bandele straightens his face. "Put that girl in your list. I want her here every Wednesday. Nothing goes for nothing."

"Oh, okay sir. I've profiled the mother already. But for the girl, I wasn't sure if —"

"Be sure!" Bandele leans forward with a frown. "Put Dineo on the list too. Two of them are good. The girl can speak English like a dolphin."

Bandele's boisterousness surprises Molefi. The boss hardly gets this much excited following a lady's visit. "Okay, sir. It will be done immediately I leave here."

"Good. When they come during the week, just lead them to my room without asking questions. Polemann people are not happy that I don't invite them like before. They miss me so much, so some of them must come here during the week. I'll leave the weekend for outside girls. That's how to enjoy life."

"That's true, boss. Must I invite someone to come rub your back this morning?" Molefi brings out paper and pen.

"No, Haibo! Don't rush me." He laughs, pointing at Molefi while holding his neck which sores. "You're getting naughty, uh."

"Sorry, sir." Molefi drops his face, tucking the paper back into his breast pocket.

"I'm enjoying your services these days. Get me something from the fridge."

The aide hurries to the home bar to serve wine and ice cubes. Days like this don't come often.

After a sip, Bandele lifts the glass as if to clinch glasses but then takes a gulp before turning towards the television. "Drink."