Chapter 43

Bandele fulfils his promise to Sheline and Margaret the following week. He picks them up from church and the ladies enjoy the attention people now accord them. Margaret makes the most of the spotlight as usual. After dropping her kids in the back seat, she makes a turn around the SUV, casts a glance at onlookers and then adjusts her hat before entering the vehicle. Sheline takes the back corner seat while her aunt showboats.

This time around, Bandele makes no pretence about his intentions. Their discussion veers from the biblical and political matters to personal issues.

"A man should take care of his family and make his home peaceful," Bandele says, despite himself. Whether or not his opinions make sense, Margaret nods at every word uttered. After all, she doesn't have a first-hand experience of how a marital union works. The ring on her finger was bought from a pawn shop.

In a move that'll mark the first of many, Bandele makes a detour to a KFC outlet to get them lunch meals before taking them to Princewill Street. The appreciation that greets the gesture makes him feel special.

"Please come to our house," Margaret's last child says.

"Michael!" Sheline shouts at him, but the young chap stays defiant.

Bandele laughs before replying. "I will come, little boy."

Margaret takes a peek at him to gauge the sincerity behind those words, but his eyes steady on the road leaving no hint. She expects him to mention a date, but Bandele says nothing to that effect until he parks in front of their apartment building where she drops off, giving him the leeway to discuss with Sheline whose resistance wears thin daily.

That they no longer need to cook after church gladdens. That leaves her more time to focus on academics. Thanks to Bandele, Sundays are now fun days.

On Bandele's part, bringing them home gives him a sense of belonging. He enjoys associating with Margaret and her kids, besides the fun of being in Sheline's company. This is a pointer that he can raise a family if he chooses to. Yes, the philanderer will cater for his family whenever he sets one up. He needn't get stuck in his father's shadows. The urge to take this affair further pinches.

Third Sunday, Bandele tells Margaret after she dismounts the vehicle. "I'm going out with Sheline today. I want to take her for lunch."

"Okay, sir." Margaret grabs her kids and heads to the gate, refusing to look at Sheline's face.

Not at all surprised that her aunt doesn't say a word, Sheline already knows Margaret's stand. Didn't she say Bandele is God-sent? The young lady has no reason to decline his unarranged date. Her classmates cruise around with sugar-daddies and blessers every weekday. If a family friend takes her out on a Sunday, so be it. Will she continue to read books till thy kingdom come?

Sheline moves to the front seat before they zoom off. She, however, holds back from talking to him for a moment, apparently cowed by his big man personality.

"It's a good Sunday." Bandele breaks the ice.

"Yes, it's a bright day," she says curtly, without looking at him.

Bandele finds it tough to hit on a topic. Hanging out with a lady feels like a new experience. This is not the usual 'name your price and enter the room' situation. No, that will spoil the reputation he's trying to build. Clearly, dating is tougher than he'd imagined. "I don't want you to do Sunday afternoon cooking," he says as they leave the street.

"You're kind and understanding," Sheline says without looking at him. She brings out her phone from the handbag, but it drops on her purple gown.

"Is that your phone?"