Weakness

The street was empty this early in the morning. At these just post-sunrise moments of the day where most are still sleeping, or still at their homes getting ready for the day's agenda to play out, I walked the sidewalk as the day got brighter.

I kept my head firmly down, watching my feet slowly trespass the sidewalk that led me to my work.

The air was cool, brisk with impending winter. The wind picked up and I saw the evidence of the chill displayed in gooseflesh up my arms.

I didn't bother putting on a coat this morning. I wish I could feel the cold enough for it to make a difference. I sigh and shake off those thoughts as I walk into my workplace.

The warm air hit me as I heard the chime over the door ding as I walked in.

The chairs had already been set to the floor and I could smell the coffee brewing and the pastries baking.

"Mattie, did you walk here without a jacket on?" I looked up as I stepped around the counter and met Liz's worried stare.

Liz was twelve years older than me at thirty-four, but one couldn't tell by looking at her. She was beautiful and maternal, while fierce and protective. Her look made my gaze fall and bite my lower lip. I heard her sigh and I hugged myself tighter. My heart started to speed up and my senses started to distort.

"Mattie, sweetie, hey," I jumped when she touched my shoulder, my face instantly becoming red with shame. "Come on, honey, breathe. Sit."

She directed me to a chair and with a word went to fetch me a cup of coffee. She was back a few moments later, a hot cup in her hands. I smiled waveringly as I accepted the drink. Liz smiled back and ran her fingers through my hair. She was like that. I honestly can't say I mind. I blushed as she did so.

She then pulled off her hoodie and wrapped it around me, my arms immediately plunging into the sleeve holes and her warmth engulfed me. She zipped up the clothing like I was an incapable child, but I did not protest her actions. I felt like an incapable child.

I moved to the town of Rockford nearly three years ago and Liz was the only person willing to give me a job despite my personal setbacks. Liz owned Cafe Coffee and took pity on me when she gave me the job. I love her for it. She made me feel a bit safer.

"Sorry," I told her, my voice half an octave above a whisper.

She stared at me for a moment before shaking her head and unlocking the doors to officially begin the workday. She came back around the center, dragging her fingertips lightly over my back as she passed me. I smiled to myself and sipped my coffee, secretly hoping no one came in.

"Hey, you okay there, babycakes?" I looked up at her and smiled, my cheeks filling with heat and blood. I heard her chuckle off to my left. She came to stand beside me a few moments later, a more serious tone to her expression.

"Really, though, Mattie...are you alright?"

I bit my lip and looked down, my fingers immediately beginning to pick at the skin around my fingernails. I wanted to tell her no. That I wasn't alright. I wanted to tell her I was scared. I wanted to tell her about them.

I nodded.

"Mattie, look at me." Her tone was gentle and I felt her fingers in my hair again. I dragged my eyes up toward hers and gave a haggard smile.

"I don't know what's happened in your past...but I'm always here if you need me."

I nodded again and looked down, willing the tears to stay hidden. I'd never had a friend like her before. The moment was brought to a halt by a customer entering, the chime above the door making Liz look up from studying my expression.