Exposure

Liz did not say anything for a long time. She rolled six blunts, one after another before she finally lit one. She hit it several times before exhaling in a sigh. She stared in the direction Mykel had run.

"Can I ask what happened?"

She listened with alacrity as I explained what happened, leaving out the details of what I had told him.

"...then he ran out of the room."

She nodded. "Kaiden was Mykel's best friend. They grew up together. He was always a shy kid, but very sweet. He was a lot like you. When they were fourteen they began dating. I knew and so did our parents, but that was it."

I smiled sadly at the thought of young Mykel, happy and care-free with his first love. I frowned as I waited for what was to come, as I knew the story did not have a happy ending.

"We found out later," she went on as she watched for her brother to come back, "that his father gave way to sudden bouts of extreme rage. He wasn't a drunk or anything like that, he just...was an angry man.

"Since he was little Kaiden always followed me around. Wanted my attention. He was such a sweet baby, I gave it to him. He became like another little brother to guide." Her voice became shaky here as she got to the hard part of the story.

"When they were twenty-two, Kaiden decided it was time to tell his father the truth. Well, he went into a rage and attacked him. Mykel was there and pulled him off, but...the damage was done. He disowned him and that was that."

She took a long drag off the blunt, tilting her head back as she breathed in. She looked at me, her eyes sorrowful.

"About...three weeks later is when they got into an argument. When he gets overwhelmed Mykel walks. He always has, that's what he does. Kaiden had even accompanied him several times throughout their childhood to calm him down." She shook her head sadly and wiped her eyes.

"Kaiden didn't...I don't know...stop to consider that trait, I guess...but...no one will ever know for sure...he killed himself while Mykel was gone. He hanged himself in their living room."

My heart broke for Mykel. My soul ached for Kaiden.

"There was no note. No...anything. Mykel found him when he came home. He's the one that cut him down.

"I made him come live with me then. Our parents didn't know what to do. When he tried to OD on an opiate I brought him here. Mykel...hasn't ever really gotten over what happened. He blames himself.

"The first day he met you was the first day in years where his smile wasn't attached to tears behind it."

I shook my head wanting to dispel her words. You know you're not good enough for him. He needs a real man. Not some sniveling, little whore.

Each word was a stab to my core. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I jumped and avoided her gaze as shame filled me.

"Oh, Mattie. I wouldn't ever hurt you, baby." She drew me close to her and flexed her fingers through my hair.

"Liz?"

"Hm?"

"I..." I wrapped my arm around her waist and gripped onto her coat, my face buried in her side.

"When I ran away from home I...was...I was...a..." I swallowed sharply. It was so much harder with her. The fear of her sending me away was crippling.

"I sold myself. I s-sold my body to m-men." I curled up further into her, clinging desperately. My cries increased when I felt her hold me closer, tighter.