Prologue

I had never been afraid to die, but rather afraid of leaving the ones I loved behind. All the loose ends I would never get to tie up and all the things I wouldn't be able to experience was a haunting thought that came with death. That's what I was afraid of. And being a firm believer in karma, I should've seen something like this coming.

The aching in my limbs traveled through my entire body like a wildfire quickly spreading through my veins. Forcing my eyes to remain open seemed to be the biggest challenge I had yet to face, and my shallow breathing was causing my pulse to slow.

I coughed and the metallic taste of blood touched my tongue as I rolled onto my side. My vision began to fade as I fell further into the dark. And no matter how many times I blinked, my sight remained blurry.

Focus Alexa, I demanded of myself.

But it seemed that every time I found strength another deafening blow took it away.

A quick boot to the ribs forced me onto my back again. I didn't remember if I had screamed in pain or not, but it was likely. Had I tried to get up too soon? Why was he playing this game with me? Like a cat toying with a defenseless mouse.

I concluded that there were broken ribs. Pain jabbed into my sides like knives, and I could no longer breathe without opening my mouth. I gasped for air while I stayed down on my back.

I accepted this is how I would die.

The last thing I remember seeing was a silver barrel of a gun. The last thing I heard was the muffled mumbling of a man, saying something under his breath that I couldn't understand.

But I wasn't afraid.

I closed my eyes and sent aquick prayer. Maybe I would finally find peace at the end of this long, dark tunnel.