Seven

"Jesus Alexa you had her hit you?" Paige gawked.

I picked at my lunch. "It was the only thing I could think of."

She shook her head. "You're dedicated, I'll give you that."

"I just want to know what's really going on."

"Why?"

I looked up. "What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "I just wanna know why. I mean, you're obviously not interested in taking the drug, so what's with the curiosity."

"Um because it could kill someone?"

"And it won't be you, so what's the problem?"

I rolled my eyes. "That's not the point."

"Is it because you think Melissa is taking it?"

"What?" I blurted.

"You know what I'm talking about," she insinuated. "I've felt the weird tension between you two since the first day."

"It's not sexual tension, if that's what you're hinting at."

She raised her brow. "You don't like her?"

"Not even a little bit."

"Why?"

Paige had honestly been nothing but patient with me. I mean, I knew so much about her and yet she still didn't know how I even ended up here. I felt kind of bad. But then the trauma from my past resurfaced and I knew I would regret opening up to her.

"It's just a really long story that I'm not sure I'm even supposed to tell anyone," I confessed.

She rested her head on her arm. "Alexa Cortez; the girl who literally reveals nothing."

"It's what keeps me interesting," I teased.

"Oh I bet," she joked. "I guess I'd just like to know a little about the person I've been rooming with for a month."

I stood from my seat. "The only reason I ended up here is because of my little sister, Anna."

At the bit of information, she just smiled. "So you're a badass older sister. Cool."

"I guess you can say that." I picked up my tray. "Gotta go change this bandage. I'll see you later."

I left the cafeteria and headed over to the infirmary with high hopes that I would get there before the shift change.

I walked in and looked for the familiar faces but spotted none. It looked like all new staff.

"Can I help you?" I heard from behind the desk.

A man stood and leaned on the desk with a smile.

I pointed to my head. "Yeah, I need this bandage changed."

He nodded. "I can do that."

We took our place in the room as he gently removed the bandage. I studied him as he worked and wondered why he came off different than the other nurses. Was he the one that was administering the steroid?

"Just out of curiosity... What time does this place close?"

He gave me an odd look.

"With everything that's been going on, I just wanna know what would happen if someone needed medical attention late at night," I lied.

His suspicion eased. "Well, we lock up at eight, but the nurses live on campus for the duration of the training session. So if anything did happen, we would be called."