Eight

Chapman didn't reply to my message that day. I hoped he had at least gotten it, but with phones like the one he had provided me... it was no guarantee.

The next day I had no choice but to leave it in my dorm until I had a chance to check it.

Lunch came around and Paige and I decided to sit out of hearing range. Just in case.

"Have you thought of anything?" she asked.

"No, not yet," I admitted.

"How the hell did you even get into the infirmary the other night?"

Instinctively my eyes found Melissa who was on the other side of the dining hall. She looked weird today.

I shook my head. "Picked the front lock."

She raised her brow.

"What?"

"That's a ballsy way to do it."

"How else would I have done it?"

She shrugged. "You could've asked me to help you."

I just smiled. "Yeah well, I appreciate your brains, but I don't wanna get you kicked out of here."

She leaned forward. "I can take responsibility for my decisions you know."

I felt something stir inside me but I couldn't bring myself to acknowledge it.

"So guess what I overheard on my way to class," Paige teased.

I tuned in. "What?"

"We weren't the only one to receive a gift from Diaz."

"What are you saying?"

"Stacy was talking to Melissa and had asked him for another fix. Diaz delivered."

I couldn't help myself. "Did Melissa get one too?"

Paige shrugged. "I don't know. She didn't say much."

I regretted asking that of Paige because now she knew I had ties with Melissa that were deeper than I let in on. I didn't want to tell her everything we had been through, but not talking about it was slowly driving me mad. Maybe Paige would be willing to keep everything I had been through a secret, but I wasn't sure.

"Are you worried about Melissa...?" Paige wondered.

I shrugged. "I just wanna know how many people are being effected. That's all."

Her eyes switched between my own but she refused to press me. That was one of many things I liked about her. Paige didn't pry.

Lunch ended and I headed to my last stretch of classes for the day. I debated silently if I should bring up the drugs with Melissa. Would she tell me? I couldn't figure out why I still had a bad feeling she was somehow tangled, and I didn't know why I still cared.

I saw her in Basic Driving but she naturally kept her distance. Once we were in Defense I knew she wouldn't be able to avoid me, and I was eager to talk to her.

When I made it to my last class she was there waiting for the instructor. I caught her picking at her fingers, something I had never seen her do before.

I walked up to her.

"Hey I have to ask you something," I said.

She looked at me but there was something off about her. Had the search spooked her yesterday? Did she get a gift like Paige and I?