Eleven

My entire body quaked with adrenaline as I walked into the cafeteria for breakfast. That's when I spotted Melissa eating alone. I grabbed some food and took my place in front of her.

She eyed me. "Did you do it?"

I nodded. "Yeah, he'll be there."

This was good news to her, so she continued to eat.

"Are you having second thoughts?"

I shook my head. "No. But even if I was, it's too late to back out now."

"You're right about that," she confirmed.

"Paige said it was a good plan."

That's when Melissa looked at me with an expression I didn't like.

"You told Paige?" she fumed.

"Yeah? Why is that a big deal?"

"Because Alexa..." She looked around. "The less people that know the better."

"She's not a rat," I claimed. "And I left your name out of it, don't worry."

"That's not what I'm worried about!"

I rolled my eyes. "She's gonna keep tabs on the tenant and make sure she gets the warning. If anything goes wrong I told her to let me know."

Nothing I said seemed to ease Melissa's worrying. I couldn't help but wonder why she was so mad over the fact that I had told Paige.

"What's the real reason you're upset that I told her?" I asked.

She picked at her food. "I don't trust her."

"Well I do," I countered.

"Yeah, and at one time you trusted me when you shouldn't have."

I clenched my jaw. "This isn't the time to be doing this, Melissa."

"Yeah well, it's true."

"It's a good idea to have a third person looking out for us," I tried to convince her.

She shrugged. "Well, if something goes wrong because of her... it's your fault. Not mine."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'll take responsibility. Unlike you."

"Why do you do that?" she asked.

"Do what? State facts?" I jabbed.

"No, state assumptions," she responded. "What makes you think I haven't taken responsibility for my actions?"

"Because you're here with me and not in jail."

"Yeah?" She stood from her seat. "And you'd still be there if it weren't for me."

Then she left me at the table alone.

I was at a loss for words, but I didn't believe what she had said. She was wrong. Chapman was the one who had gotten me out of jail, right? He hadn't been on the rescue mission, but he wouldn't have let me rot away in prison knowing I had done nothing to deserve it.

I watched Melissa leave the cafeteria and I finished my breakfast. I had a long day ahead of me and things to get ready for tonight. Fighting with Melissa wouldn't accomplish anything, so now wasn't the time. We would have to talk this out eventually though, I knew that.

If only I could talk to her without wanting to rip her a new one.

Classes today would mostly consist of reviewing for our exams, so it wasn't high pressure. I was grateful, because focusing on anything but tonight seemed impossible. And I hoped this plan covered all the bases like Paige had said, because I wasn't sure.