Six

Another few days passed, and we reached the halfway mark of training camp. And with me being bogged down with studying for tests and demonstrations, my investigation had been put on hold.

But that didn't mean I stopped paying attention.

Stacy and Justin remained wary of me, and found no shame throwing me shade in the cafeteria. But Melissa had completely shut me out.

No sideways glances, nothing during any of our classes together... Hell, she barely even made eye contact with me.

Not like I cared.

I figured after our conversation in the bathroom a few days ago she had gotten the hint that I wouldn't be on her side if shit went down. The only bad thing was that I felt I hadn't told her the truth.

The more I thought about what I told her the more I began to regret it.

What if Melissa was involved with whatever was circulating around campus? And what if she had valuable information that I could use to my benefit? She would never tell me anything if she didn't trust my motives.

Maybe a change of heart, at least on the outside, would compel Melissa to tell me the truth.

"Are you coming?" Paige asked as she laced up her shoes.

I snapped out of my thought. "Yeah."

Day twenty-five was important. It was the day that everyone in camp had to prove what they had learned. It was also the day that would determine who would continue to the second phase of training.

And our first test was a physical examination.

I felt most prepared for this exam. Hell, I had come into camp in the best physical shape I had been in for years. Working out every day in prison put me ahead of everyone else. This would be my easiest challenge.

Upon arrival, women and men were separated into groups. We were tested on pushups and sit-ups, which was the easiest part, and then prepared for the two-mile run.

"You have nineteen minutes and thirty seconds to complete the run," our instructor revealed. "Failure to do so will result in a failing grade for your physical exam."

I knelt and tightened my laces just in case. Then my eyes caught Melissa, who was doing the same. Her hands shook against her shoes as she caught my gaze. She rolled her eyes and stood back up.

The sound of a bell signaled our start.

I took off with confidence, knowing I could certainly complete two miles in that amount of time. And the sooner I finished the run the sooner I could get back to my studies to prepare for my other tests.

It took me a few minutes to pass most of my counterparts and take the lead, which felt great. There was just one person I couldn't seem to catch up to.

And it was, of course, Melissa.

I remembered at the beginning of camp when she could barely keep up with me. How, in only twenty-five days, had she managed to outdo me?

An answer formulated, but I didn't want to believe it.

I was feeling good so I pushed harder to gain ground behind her. Eventually she could hear me approaching.

"Melissa," I called, but she ignored me.

Well, how the tables have turned.

Eventually I made it on the side of her, but probably only because she had intentionally allowed it. Yet, she remained quiet to control her breathing.