Nine

The next few days I tried to stay busy and avoid as many people as possible. The infirmary was still on lockdown, which meant no more fixes for Stacy, Justin or Melissa. And by now the effects were wearing off, so it was only a matter of time before they started withdrawing.

And I was preparing myself for confrontation.

Paige was the only one I talked to now, even though Melissa and I had a breakthrough the other day. I was avoiding her because she was still pressing me about letting her explain herself, but I just didn't think I could hear it yet. I knew once I did it would change everything.

It had been five days since the lockdown and there was still no word on what had been stolen or who had done it. I was growing more and more nervous with each passing day. And Chapman was impatiently waiting for me to get back to him with a picture of some sort.

There was more pressure than ever, and it was getting to me.

I was folding my laundry when the door to my dorm opened. I jumped at the sudden noise.

"It's just me, Alexa," Paige comforted. "Why are you so jumpy?"

"You know why I'm so jumpy," I accused.

She raised her brow. "You're really afraid Stacy's gonna try and come after you."

"I wouldn't put it past her," I confessed. "She did threaten me."

"Threats are just words."

"We'll see."

Paige sat on her bed. "Well, if she does then I'll help you fight her off. Two against one."

I saved my clothes with a smile. "Thanks."

I watched Paige grab a set of night clothes. "I guess I could go shower while everyone's still at dinner."

"Good idea," I agreed. "I'll probably go soon too."

She left the room and I waited a few minutes before retrieving my cellphone. Chapman hadn't sent another text since asking for a picture of Diaz, but there was another person I wanted to talk to.

I typed in Anna's number and texted, "Hey, it's Alexa. Don't ask how I'm texting you at camp. I'll just tell you when I see you. I miss you so much."

I knew it was a school night, but maybe she had her phone on her. I was desperate to have some kind of contact with my sister.

Then my phone buzzed.

Anna wrote, "If this really is Alexa, what's my favorite color?"

"Teal. When did you get so suspicious?" I responded.

"Since I found out my entire family is involved with the government. I can't believe you're actually texting me from camp! I miss you so much! How is it over there?"

"Intense. But I'm learning a lot. How's everything back home?"

This time it took her a while to text back. I wondered if that was a bad sign or her just texting me a novel.

My phone buzzed.

"It's been great. I feel like mom and I are the closest we've ever been."

I read the text twice, and to be honest, I had expected a little bit more.

Then she texted me again.

"I've hung it with dad a few times too."

I stared at my phone for what felt like hours. Anna had hung out with dad? Had mom been with them too? I wish she'd elaborate more, but deep down I didn't know if I was ready to hear that.