{5} Intensity

Sajdaa Taha

I sighed as I stared at the clock. The familiar smell of coffee filled the room. I felt my stomach grumble. I'm starving. As soon as I woke up, Malik requested that we meet early in the morning. I came here an hour after Fajr (morning prayer). The Chief Officer led me to Malik's office.

Of course, he didn't let go of his racist commentary when he saw me. That prick. Since then I'd been waiting for Malik, who was taking his sweet time to be here. 

I heard the door creak and I instantly jolted upright. When I turned around in my seat I was faced with Malik holding a warm cup of coffee in one hand and a glazed doughnut in the other hand. I felt my mouth water at the sight of food. 

Malik seemed to notice as he smirked, "I know I'm hot but you don't have to drool over me."

"That doughnut is more attractive than you," I said, not letting my gaze waver from the delicious doughnut.

He scowled and walked over to sit behind his desk. His navy blue police uniform tucked under his belt. The muscles in his forearms flexed as he reached for his notepad and pen. The doughnut was placed on the desk in front of me. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I swear it's not poisoned," he rolled his eyes.

I quickly grabbed it and stuffed my mouth. The glaze melted on my tongue as the sweet dough underneath overwhelmed my taste buds. I closed my eyes at the sweet taste. When I opened them again, I saw Malik staring at me with a brow raised. 

"I was hungry," I shrugged.

"Thanks for stating the obvious," he replied, dryly. He turned on his desktop computer as he sipped his coffee. I continued eating my doughnut. He put the coffee cup down. "Where's your friend?" he asked, scanning the room.

"She said she was coming."

He nodded, "Okay, let's just start without her." He scribbled something on his notepad. "I haven't gotten the full details from the forensics team, but I should get those by the end of today."

"Alisha and I took a video of the crime scene."

He looked surprised as he asked, "Why?"

"I thought the killer was still lurking around and might try something."

His eyebrows furrowed. "So you thought a video would help you because..."

I face palmed. Does no one in this world understand the importance of technology? 

"I told her to record because if someone tried to kill or hurt us, we'd have the video to prove it and the cops would know who the culprit looked like," I started, crossing my arms over my chest. "Honestly, we record everything else in our lives. Why not record the things that matter like oh I don't know, my life?" I retorted. 

He ran his fingers through his tousled brown locks. "Why must you always pick fights with me?" he sighed.

"I don't. You just always assume I do."

"Are you sure I'm assuming? To me it looks like you get a kick out of bruising my ego," he countered.

I laughed, bitterly, "Trust me, by the time I'm done your ego will deflate to the size of Hawaii."

"You're not funny," he glared.

"You're right," I paused, "I'm freaking hilarious."

He lightly banged his head on the desk. "God, please show me mercy from her," he mumbled to himself.

I snorted, "Nice duaa."

He looked up. "Is that what it's called?"

"Yeah, you made a small prayer didn't you?"