Bonus - Malik Babysits

Malik Idris

Malik Idris

Stirring my mug of coffee, I inhaled the heavenly scent, a perfect start to a perfect morning. In the office everything had been running smoothly with absolutely no incompetent officers driving me insane. A peace in the department was like a Pax Romana for only a couple of seconds.

Ring Ring.

I sighed, answering the office phone. "Speak."

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news and to ruin your lazy morning," said Nathan, a hint of amusement in his voice, "but your ever so lovely wife is here."

Rolling my eyes at his foolishness, I mumbled a quick reply before hanging up. If Sajdaa was here it either meant I did something wrong and she couldn't wait to roast me or there was an emergency. The first option seemed the most likely, so I slowed my steps, taking some time to admire the paintings on the wall, the awards of the department, and shiny tiles below.

As I turned the corner, I prepared myself for the wrath of my wife. An image of her flaring features flashed through my mind, her eyes burning straight through me. Although Sajdaa's hot temper occasionally got on my nerves, she was a woman unlike any other and a mother with a heart of gold.

Her dark eyes left me mesmerized, lips had me frozen, and a voice that eased every worry to ever cross my mind. Marriage never felt constricting with her. Our love whisked us away to a blissful future where we fought through every enemy on the frontline, every killer, every dead body. None of that mattered because Sajdaa and I were a team.

"Assalamualaikum, Dad!" screamed a chorus of voices, pulling me out of my thoughts.

Oh shit.

My eyes widened at the sight of all four sons. "Waalaikumsalam, kids," I replied, giving Sajdaa a questionable look. "Why are they here?"

"Malik, I know this is really short notice, but I have to get to the laboratory today. Could you please watch them?" she asked, biting her lips with uncertainty, an action that weakened my objections.

Damn her and her cuteness.

"But I have police reports to file," I protested. "Why don't you take them with you since it's 'Take Your Child to Work Day'? I'm sure your boss won't mind."

Her eyes narrowed, and I gulped, knowing the expression all too well. "Malik," she stressed as she came closer to me, "I'm going to be working on a crime scene investigation with blood and gore. Do you really want our kids to play with evidence that you need?"

I flinched. "Okay, I get it."

"If you give them coffee again, I will make the next week hell for you. Understood?"

"What a sweet wife I have," I said sarcastically. "But no worries. I still unfortunately love you."

Ignoring my comment, Sajdaa turned to our sons, who were cluelessly looking around the giant department. "You boys be good to your father. Please, behave yourselves," she pleaded, kneeling down to hug each one. "I love you all."