{17} Drop the Bomb

Malik Idris

I drove the car down Sajdaa's street, Nathan sat besides me while Sajdaa and her brother sat in the back. They were playing a childhood hand game together, which Nathan would occasionally insult with his snide remarks. Of course, Sajdaa put him down every time he opened his mouth, tampering his mood. 

"No wonder Cole hates your guts. You just gotta insult all our egos," he mumbled to himself. 

Sajdaa smirked, "If I don't do it, then who will?"

"My parents," grumbled Nathan.

I felt my lips crack into a smile as I parked the car. The house was directly across from Sajdaa's place. I moved the car gear to 'park' and took my foot off the pedal. The group in the car quieted down and looked towards me. I turned in my seat to face Sajdaa and Hamza. Their expressions were curious, waiting for my command. 

"Okay we can't attract attention to us. Police are scattered around the area. If the killer shows up tonight, we'll be ready," I stated. 

"What if he doesn't show up?" asked Hamza. 

"Then you two will go straight home and we put this area in high security," I said, firmly. 

Satisfied with my answer, Hamza nodded. 

"We're going to go in and tell Mr. Hollen the situation and wait outside the house," I continued, looking at them for any objections. "Is that clear?"

They all nodded their heads. 

"Alright, let's do this."

Stepping out of the car, I walked towards the front gates of this victim's house. The neighborhood was extremely peaceful, which made me have some doubts on whether the killer would attack now especially with the police car in Mr. Hollen's driveway.

If the supposed killer sees that this neighborhood would be in high security, then he would probably target the high school kids. I gripped Nathan's arm, causing him to halt his steps. 

"What?" he asked. 

I pressed my keys into his hands, whispering, "Park my car away from the house. If the killer sees it there then he won't attack. Stay in the car and oversee the other officers."

Realization dawned across his features. Nodding his head, he left to the car. 

I gestured for Hamza and Sajdaa to follow me, which they did. Each step we took to the house made me worry even more. I couldn't allow Sajdaa to get hurt again, not this time or ever again. She and her family had been through enough. We had to end this madness. 

I lightly knocked on the door. The sky had darkened, the orange rays and hues of pink falling as a new darkness overtook the reins of the sky. Clouds seemed to shift and covered the moonlight. 

Crickets chirped, fireflies illuminating the eerie blackness with their dotted lights, flying past us. Sajdaa eagerly looked at them, reaching her hand up to catch one. 

I shook my head at her childish behavior. She jumped up and captured a firefly. Her hands cupped it gently as she stared down into her palms. There was this gleam in her brown eyes that I never saw before. It sparkled with joy as she watched the small insect fly away. I felt that urge of protectiveness again.

She was so innocent, so pure, so perfect. At that moment in time, it felt as if there was no killer out there. It was just us and the world, our very essence mingling with a place that had no worries or restrictions. We were just together and admiring the small beauties that was offered.