Chapter 1 - Rosaline

That night, the air was filled with mist, floating like the remnants of forgotten ghosts. The walls had been painted, with the words "Burn the witches". The dove, a symbol of the Enchanters had been spread across the roads and houses. Each one with a score through it. These images were not an uncommon sight and they'd been becoming more frequent.

Rosaline had seen many a hate crime - but not here. Not on Prince's street where the aristocrats held they're parties. Not where they had the annual Saint's day parade. Not on this street, which practically lead to the gates of the castle.

With the recent unrest in Havensborough, agents were called in to patrol the area. Victoria and Rosaline were put on Prince's street. In the hour they'd been there, they'd encountered all but one street fight.

A yell cut through the silent night. Rosaline and Victoria shared a look and then sprinted round the corner. People cloistered around the shop, shouting and cursing. Rosaline froze, her heart rate rapidly increased. There was only her and Victoria. Suddenly she felt very small and vulnerable.

A man picked up a brick and threw it at the window. The brick went straight through the window, shattering the glass into a million pieces. Rosaline unstrapped her radio transmitter from her belt and switched it on.

"This is Agent Larendof requesting backup on Prince's street" she said.

Victoria grabbed a woman and pulled her away from the mob. She struggled and drew a knife. Rosaline stepped in, grabbing her by the arms and forcing her to the ground. Before Victoria could Taser her, she managed to nick Victoria's arm with the blade. Blood ran down her arm.

"Vicky..."

"It's fine" she replied.

Rosaline turned her attention back to the mob. They had pulled the shop owner out of the shop, threw him on the ground and beat him. AIA agents intervened, pulling the culprits away from the shop owner. A paramedic rushed to him but it was clear to even Rosaline the man was dead. There was a certain amount of blood someone could lose before the damage was irreversible. And she could've stopped it.

Before they lifted the body into the ambulance, Rosaline realised the shop keeper adorned a yellow band on his upper arm. Something only Enchanters wore to signal they recently found the Faith.

Another shop, another riot. By the end of the night Rosaline was tired of holding back hooligans. They were about to retire for the evening when they heard screaming and shouting.

The stifling smell was heavy in the air. The Havensborough temple was burning - the blaze both beautiful and frightening, illuminated the night sky. Rosaline felt a strange giddiness. Here was something so huge and predominate, it seemed to be built by the angels themselves. But here it was. Being destroyed by something as attainable as fire.

The fire engines rushed to put it out. Enchanters were already on the scene, desperately trying to put the fire out with water spells.

Victoria grabbed Rosaline's arm.

"We should go now. There's nothing we can do now" she said.

Rosaline shook her off.

"There could still be people in that temple" Rosaline said.

"And we are not fire fighters" Victoria said.

Rosaline could only watch as other people carried the injured out of the temple. Havensborough was a complete mess. The roads and pavements were covered in broken glass. It looked like the tears of angels.

5<>