Chapter 9 - Victoria

Sitting in her father's chair was a new experience for Victoria. While he was away on business in Arugaia, he'd chosen Victoria to look after the office. This was much to the shock of Victoria and his right hand lackeys.

When she'd arrived this morning, they were already there, their expressions stern. Arthur was waiting for her.

"Construction on the Enchanter's sanctuary has begun" he said. "We've drained all the water, and disposed of the rubble".

"That's good. Is there any way to maximise the capacity?" Victoria said.

"Not without knocking a wall or two down – and that would push the opening date further back"

"Don't do that" Victoria said. "We need it to open as soon as possible".

"Understood" Arthur said.

Victoria walked into her office to find Lorna already there. She jumped when she saw her.

"How did you get in here?" she said.

"Nicholas let me in" Lorna said. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to tell you that my article was well-received"

Victoria strode to her desk and sat down.

"That's good. I'm glad. I can't say I've had the chance to read it" she said.

"Of course you wouldn't. You probably don't have much time on your hands" Lorna said. "I was wondering if maybe I could talk to you about the Sanctuary?"

Victoria's heart missed a beat.

"How do you know about that?" she said.

"There have been rumours circling" Lorna said. "I think it's a fantastic idea"

"Well I'm going to make a speech about it tomorrow-"

"I could get the word out" Lorna interrupted.

She looked so excited. Victoria almost didn't want to dismiss her. There was something so genuine about her. But Victoria wanted the announcement to be from her lips, undiluted.

"Thanks for the offer Lorna but I'd rather make the announcement"

Lorna's face fell.

"Oh...I just thought since the last article was such a success"

"You'd use my name to sell more papers?" Victoria said.

"No. Victoria, it's not like that honestly"

"Look Lorna, you seem like a really nice person and I'm not going to patronise you by telling you I know the struggles of a journalist. But using people of fame to get ahead in your career is not the way to go. Please, just walk away while you still have dignity"

Lorna pursed her red lips and stood up.

"Right. Okay. Sorry to have bothered you"

Victoria stared at the blank page. She needed a speech for tomorrow but the words were not coming. How would she tell the public there was an underground sanctuary for Enchanters without reminding them of Brenda's underground camps? How would offer the Enchanters sanctuary without attracting the Camicazi?

Victoria.

Victoria jumped and looked around herself. The room was empty, the floor empty. Who'd be in the office whispering her name?

She shrugged it off, thinking it was her imagination. She tried to concentrate on her speech, but the inaudible whispering continued. Victoria ended up walking out the room. This solitude was driving her to insanity.